Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient

Article about: Hello everybody! I have recently purchased an Indian made Battle Dress blouse badged to a Major of the RAMC, serving in the 8th Indian Division. On the whole the BD blouse is very coherent:

Default Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient

Hello everybody! I have recently purchased an Indian made Battle Dress blouse badged to a Major of the RAMC, serving in the 8th Indian Division. On the whole the BD blouse is very coherent: produced in 1942, right campaign medal ribbons. As long as i know, RAMC officers served with the division along with officers belonging to the Indian Medical Services, so the RAMC titles are not odd.... i am wondering how could it be possible to research such an officer. Does the serial K 8524 could be some kind of Indian Army service number? Thank you so much in advance for your knowledge and all the very best, Loupie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient   Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient  

Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient   Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient  

Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient   Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient  

Attached Images Attached Images Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient 

Default Re: Researchable 8th Indian Division RAMC Major BD blouse, MC recipient

Nice BD. Do you have his name? I would try and see if the divisional war diaries are available as there can't have been many RAMC majors with the div.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Loupie, the number "K8524" is certainly not a service number.

Without a name this is always going to be tricky: you will need access to one of the detailed Divisional histories. I would try:

One More River: The Story of The Eighth Indian Division. Bombay: H.W. Smith, Times of India Press.

Hopefully this book may well include your possible man. Given he had a fairly high rank and a decoration he could well be mentioned. You just have to hope only one Medical Major got the MC....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Bond View Post
    Nice BD. Do you have his name? I would try and see if the divisional war diaries are available as there can't have been many RAMC majors with the div.
    No, Bond, alas no name, that would have made thing much simpler....

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Without a name this is always going to be tricky: you will need access to one of the detailed Divisional histories. I would try:

One More River: The Story of The Eighth Indian Division. Bombay: H.W. Smith, Times of India Press.

Hopefully this book may well include your possible man. Given he had a fairly high rank and a decoration he could well be mentioned. You just have to hope only one Medical Major got the MC....

Cheers, Ade.
    thank you Ade: I have got the booklet, is a quite thin one, I am afraid I will not find much.. I have tried with the London gazette web pages, but no luck with the supposed service number (as such, it could be the service number of somebody enrolled in auxiliary corps... no RAMC I am afraid...), and ... too much of it with the search terms RAMC Major and MC ...

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    just finished to peruse "One more river": no mention of any RAMC MC... not really surprising, if you take into account that in Italy the Division earned FOUR VCs and 145 MCs only for the regular units, plus 15 for the units attached.....

Shame, it would be nice to find his name. You will always wonder about it, I know I would

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!