Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse

Article about: Hi all. Thought I would post this as it cam with the slouch hat I have just posted. Unfortunately there is no label to indicate maker or date but it is in nice condition. The buttons appear

Default Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse

Hi all. Thought I would post this as it cam with the slouch hat I have just posted. Unfortunately there is no label to indicate maker or date but it is in nice condition. The buttons appear to be a personal choice. I am trying to research what the black diamond flash on the sleeve indicates. If anyone knows I would be most interested to find out. Any comments are welcome. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse   Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse  

Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse   Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse  

Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse   Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse  

Has it got any markings or labels in it mate?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I asked the above because the cloth looks odd for a Brit BD and the 37 pattern should have an unlined collar, so either a pre 42 40 pattern, a foreign made example or a post war pig in a poke mate. you need to have a good look at it and post better pics.
    Regards,

Jerry

Cheers Jerry. I didn't think that there were any markings but a more diligent search has revealed this small ink stamp behind one of the pockets, although it is quite faded. My initial thoughts were that it is foreign (possibly Canadian?) but that was going by the colour more than anything. Cheers.

As for better pics, will see what I can do.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse  

Stamp looks Indian in design, though the cut of the BD deos not match my 44 dated Indian BD, but maybe mine is an austerity version. My Indian made BD has lots of stamps in it. The fabric looked to be Canadian perhaps as you suggested. Probably just needs better pics.
    Regards,

Jerry

Stamp is definitely Indian. There are myriad variations with Indian kit, but the circular date stamps are very distinctive. Sadly yours is quite faded so I can't make out the date.

Thanks guys. Warspite, should the date be in the middle of the stamp? I may be able to make it out.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Thanks guys. Warspite, should the date be in the middle of the stamp? I may be able to make it out.
    though you did not ask me, I'll answer this time and on my one it is in the middle. Yours looks to be 9-42 so 9th month of 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers 37 Pattern Battledress Blouse  
    Regards,

Jerry

Many thanks Jerry and Warspite. I agree with the 1942 date. Just need to find out what the significance of the black diamond is now.