Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Engineers Arm Patch

Article about: Hello all, can anyone help me identify this arm patch beneath the Royal Engineers patch please? I've been scouring the net (I hate to appear a lazy poster!) with no luck so far. I never thou

Default Royal Engineers Arm Patch

Hello all,

can anyone help me identify this arm patch beneath the Royal Engineers patch please? I've been scouring the net (I hate to appear a lazy poster!) with no luck so far. I never thought it would be this difficult but maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places.

Royal Engineers Arm Patch Royal Engineers Arm Patch Royal Engineers Arm Patch

I'm just awaiting the arrival of this BD blouse which is one of those open-collar jobs. I was under the impression that officer's went for this type of tailoring. Any thoughts on it?

Cheers,

Ian.

Default Re: Royal Engineers Arm Patch

21st Army group GHQ troops with an RE badge on it. The use of ties -and therefore open collars and shirts- by OR's was allowed from 44 onward but did not become common until the post war period.

do you know if the RE badge is attached to the arm shield or is embroidered directly on it?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry,

thank you for your reply. I'm sorry but all I have are these pictures so far. Can I ask you what the significance of it being attached to the shield is as opposed to embroidered?

Cheers,

Ian.

I have not seen a version from WWII with it as part of the manufacture of the patch, so if it is embroidered it might be a post war issue, though I have to admit I don't know. If it is a badge pinned to the patch, that would be more likely to be WWII, though again I don't know as I don't have the references for post war formation signs. When you get it I can ask elsewhere if you post pics and want me to.
    Regards,

Jerry

The Royal Engineers badge on your BD is for the Engineer Training Establishment. B.A.O.R. This unit was formed in Germany post WWII, therefor altho the BD is dated 1944 the woven badge is definitly post war. John.

John is quite correct on the patch.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers Arm Patch  

Thanks chaps,

that's a great help. There is also a pair of 1940 pattern battledress trousers as part of this sale and I'd hoped to start building an impression with them. I have quite a bit of webbing knocking about and it would make a great project. It seems a bit sacreligious to remove the post-war patches though!

The seller said they belonged to a family member who had been through the war and I assume the ribbon bar suggests war service overseas. I presume he stayed on after the end of the war. I'll post some better quality pics when they arrive.

Confirms my thoughts that it was not a WWII patch, well done john and Tom.
    Regards,

Jerry

Royal Engineers Arm PatchHello lads,

really pleased with the condition of these BD trouser's and Jacket when they arrived. A tiny hole which looks more like an ash burn rather than a moth nip on the trousers is the only fault. The trousers fit me like a glove but the jacket is unfortunately too small. The insignia as pointed out by the chaps above is post-war but I will leave that intact and find another 40 pattern that fits at a later date.

Royal Engineers Arm PatchRoyal Engineers Arm PatchRoyal Engineers Arm PatchRoyal Engineers Arm PatchRoyal Engineers Arm PatchRoyal Engineers Arm Patch