Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Small childs U.S. navy uniform

Article about: As we were checking out the second hand and antique stores yesterday my wife and I came across this wonderfull childs uniform . I am not up on Naval insignia or uniforms but from what I can

?

Default Small childs U.S. navy uniform

As we were checking out the second hand and antique stores yesterday my wife and I came across this wonderfull childs uniform . I am not up on Naval insignia or uniforms but from what I can tell the trousers appear to be navy bell bottoms and I believe the seamans pull over shirt , trousers and cap are of WW-2 era it is all constructed of wool and the workmanship that went into building this uniform is excellent. The uniform did come with a black silk scarf but I forgot to take a picture of it and it would appear by the button holes in the waist band of the trousers that it would have come with a small set of suspenders but I am unshur. I have never seen another one quite like it I am trying to figure out when this uniform would have been built and by who if anyone could be of assistance or has any comments they would be welcome.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small childs U.S. navy uniform   Small childs U.S. navy uniform  

Small childs U.S. navy uniform   Small childs U.S. navy uniform  

Small childs U.S. navy uniform  

?

Default Re: Small childs U.S. navy uniform

What a flood of pleasent memories looking at this uniform. During WW2 my Grandma cut down and sewed by hand one of my cousin's naval uniforms. He was on a destroyer in the North Atlantic . I wore that thing to death. People marveled at the great job she did . I was only six years old and looked like a midget sailor in that rig. My cousin taught me how to tie the sailors knot in the tie and to crease the little white hat just right. Sure wished I had a photo of me in that getup. One of the ironies of life is that I went into the Army and had no interest in going Navy.

Thanks for sharing photos and sorry I can't be of help. Just thought I would share this great memory.

Sam

Sorry I cant help you.
    but I think this uniform is great ,just a super find.
    Chris

?

I just could not believe It when I seen it hanging there the store owner said her and her husband have had it for years and displayed it on a manequine I paid $35 CDN for it and was just thrilled to get it at that It almost felt like I was stealing at that price. Thanks Chris and Sam by the way Sam welcome to the forum glad it brought you some pleasent memories.

Regards Mark K

?

Mark these uniforms were made for kids during WWI and WWII . As stated above some were home made and some store bought. You can find Army , Navy, and Marine uniforms for kids Marine and Army are the harder to find. Kids wanted to look like their dads and play war. Great uniform. Gary

I think that was a great buy.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you all for your comments and interest Adrian if I remember right did you not comment on another childs uniform last month posted by Steve R please correct me if I am wrong. As I would like to compare the two.

Regards Mark K