Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Article about: Hi Update on the project. It's getting out of hand....... I have now sorted out the paper work and photos. There are 72 wartime shots of the unit in the UK, North Afrika and Italy. Plus asso

Default sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Hi,

I was on a family visit to the wifes grandfather who is a WW2 vet and often recounts a story or two to me when I'm there.

Anyway we got chatting about uniforms and he casually comments about an old jacket he kept that is at the back of his wardrobe.........with his permission I was straight up the stairs and there it was........

sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

cheers

tony

Default Re: sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Excellent! Nice Canadian made BD Blouse.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Very nice but does he still have his medals to go with it? A family piece is always the best and I wish I had my Dad's BD and/or cap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Ade,

Guess what, I'm now writing a book about his wartime recollections.

He has a stack of stories and a stack of photo's. He served in 47th LAA Regt. Royal Artillery from 1938 to 1946 and served in UK, Africa and Italy.

I hope he will let me put some pictures up but need permission first.

more to follow, hopefully.

cheers

tony

He was in the Terriers as well, as he has the TA efficient service medal ribbon.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Good spot on the medal ribbon.

He was a territorial.....joined them in 1938 aged 17.

And yes the medals are still in his possession.

plus his beret and regt. badges worn at vet reunions .

It's only in the last few years he has actually talked in any detail about his experiences.

cheers

tony

His TA unit was the finsbury rifles who were known as the Pentonville Pissers !

Fantastic that he still has it all and writing his history is a great thing to be doing. Sadly with my Fathers stuff I only have his medals, his cap badge and a few pictures and he was also in the Terriers, so it is named which is a nice bonus for a WWII group. Rare to see the Africa star with all 3 bars.
    Regards,

Jerry

Tony: That is a terrific collection for you to have and I applaude your intention to write a book about your Grandfather's service. I know nothing about British uniforms and awards and I am curious to know what is the blue & red bar above his chevrons? Dwight

?

Nice one Tony , once a Gunner always a Gunner !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast