Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Article about: Hi Update on the project. It's getting out of hand....... I have now sorted out the paper work and photos. There are 72 wartime shots of the unit in the UK, North Afrika and Italy. Plus asso

Default Re: sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Hi

Update on the project. It's getting out of hand.......

I have now sorted out the paper work and photos. There are 72 wartime shots of the unit in the UK, North Afrika and Italy. Plus assorted paperwork including the soldiers service and pay book.

In the back of the pay book were photos of the bodies of Mussolini and his mistress. I asked him about these and he said they were widely circulated for sale to the troops in Italy. They are pretty grim.

I also have been given a copy of a journal written by one of the men in the gun crew who sent him a copy after the war. It is 100 A4 pages of handwritten notes of the man's recollections of his war. OMG ! direct first hand account of the action.....authors dream.

Below are a couple of the paperwork keep sakes.

Signed Xmas menu 1943.

The safe passage chit dropped on german lines.

Concert tickets

cheers

tony

4md
    ?

Default Re: sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

Wow! what an amazing discovery, looking forward to seeing more

regards Paul

Hi

I have now the first draft copy of the manuscript done, will add photos and captions and then get the thing printed hopefully before xmas. once the family has seen it i hope to get permission to post the story in one format or another. The text is 8k words !

Watch this space or should I say thread....

cheers

Hi

The book is done and at the printers !

Very pleased with the turn round as it will be with me for xmas...............luckily we were able to pull a few strings and twist a few arms to get it done ASAP.

The other bit of good news is I spoke to the subject of the book aka Mr Ladlow and he has given permission to publish his pictures on the forum.

I have also arranged for a flip book file to be produced so if you wish, a copy of the book can be e-mailed to you should you wish to support a good cause....................

Mr ladlow has agreed for his personal wartime pictures and story to be made available for a small donation (you decide the amount but £5 seems a fair price as a guide) and the proceeds will be given to the Royal British Legion.

Please PM me if you would like to support their work. ALL PROCEEDS GO TO THE LEGION, THIS IS A NON PROFIT PROJECT.

so without further ado may I introduce Gunner Ladlow in 1938 aged 17 years old.

Bill joined the Territorial Army (TA) in 1938 at 17 years old and just in time to be involved in the general mobilisation that was called in response to the gathering war clouds over Europe.

He enlisted in the 12th (Finsbury Rifles) Light Anti-Aircraft (LAA) Regiment. He recalls the units nickname was the "Pentonville Pissers" for reasons that he chose not to divulge.

sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943sometimes history is right under your nose ! RA battledress dated 1943

more to follow

cheers

tony

Pre-war studio photo.Bill is wearing the soon to be obsolete WW1 style putees and a pair of riding breeches and tunic that indicate the 1937 pattern
    uniform was yet to be provided to the TA. It is dated 15th July 1939 and was taken whilst on a training course in Weybourne, Norfolk.

Weybourne has long been considered a possible site for invasion, one reason being the deep water offshore. "He who would all England win, should at Weybourne Hope begin". During the Second World War defences were constructed around Weybourne as a part of British anti-invasion preparations of World War II. The beaches were blocked by landmines and extensive scaffolding barriers; further inland there were pillboxes, barbed wire entanglements, a long anti-tank ditch and other defences.

During the Second World War, Weybourne Camp was a highly secret site and was an Anti-Aircraft Artillery range. This, along with a complementary camp at Stiffkey, represented the main live firing training ranges for ACK-ACK Command in World War II. It was here that the Finsbury Rifles learnt their trade.

Attachment 432380

Another picture dated July 1939 showing the 12th Finsbury Rifles. This was taken at Stiffkey on the North Coast of Norfolk just along from the town
    of Weybourne.

cheers

tony

stevedel
    ?

Hi
    Researching father in laws war and he was in 12 (Finsbury Rifles) Light AA regiment. Can I get a copy of your book?

Have a look at this link for photos.....

Photo Album for a gun commander in 47th LAA Rgt.

cheers

Tony

stevedel
    ?

Many thanks Tony
    Much appreciated and will help tremendously in trying to understand role of father in law in second world wa as he too was a member of 12 (Finsbury Rifles) Light AA Regiment.
    Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3