Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson I reckon the insignia is real? The RAC titles certainly compare well to those on my 79th BD. Cheers, Ade. Thanks Ade, maybe I have been too cautious, but I assumed it loo

Default South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945

I have been thinking about buying this South African BD for a while and decided to take the chance, as I figured that the SA BD was worth the asking price and if the insignia is original and period applied that would be a bonus. The use of matching fist patches is a good sign, as the facing pairs were not introduced until after the war and hopefully that means they are period done, though it could just mean that they were added by someone who knew what they were doing.

As always, I'll post better pics when it arrives.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945   South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945

It has arrived and is in great condition, with minor signs of wear. The insignia is 99% certain to be reproductions and will be removed at some stage. Visible remains of previous patches can tentatively be seen, but the weather is really bad here and the light is not so good for pictures or even for looking indoors under lights.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    It has arrived and is in great condition, with minor signs of wear. The insignia is 99% certain to be reproductions and will be removed at some stage. Visible remains of previous patches can tentatively be seen, but the weather is really bad here and the light is not so good for pictures or even for looking indoors under lights.
    Looking forward to seeing it

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Looking forward to seeing it

Rob
    Likewise.

Good luck on getting some decent weather!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It is raining cats & dogs here and blowing a gale and it's very dull, it must be summer
    Regards,

Jerry

Some pics, but taken indoors so the colour varies a bit. It won't upload some of the pictures. I had to shrink them to get them to upload.

The seller said the insignia was on it when he bought it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945   South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945  

South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945   South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945  

South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945   South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945  

Regards,

Jerry

A few more pics, taken outdoors, but in dull light the camera lightens everything, so it is a stronger green than shown.

South African 6th Armoured div/RAC BD 1945  
    Regards,

Jerry

Nice clean BD.

The insignia does look fairly recently applied, but they did a decent job.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: still raining here...
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Nice clean BD.

The insignia does look fairly recently applied, but they did a decent job.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: still raining here...
    Thanks Ade. It's a lovely BD.

Whoever applied the insignia did a nice job and used the correct matching pair of fists rather than facing pairs, but do you think the insignia is an original issue or is it copies ? If it is bogus and or not period applied, I will probably remove it and try and get some slip-on SA insignia to replace it.

Only had a few small breaks in the weather, and it is not raining as I type this and the sun is poking through the clouds, but sadly I expect it will be raining again soon.
    Regards,

Jerry

I reckon the insignia is real? The RAC titles certainly compare well to those on my 79th BD.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast