Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Still good deals out there

Article about: by CBH No information on the owner , not named or numbered . However the North Nova Scotia Highlanders tunic ,that I posted has a number on the underside of the inside pocket 8466 would this

Default Re: Still good deals out there

I've pulled a few nice WWII items from these second hand shops.

They are not what they used to be. Ten years ago you could
    find good stuff, but I hardly find anything now - and you
    have to go and look almost every day.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Lovely example of a Bombardier's BD from 5th Field Regiment, RCA.

By the way, the collar hasn't been altered at all.

Rob

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Lovely example of a Bombardier's BD from 5th Field Regiment, RCA.

By the way, the collar hasn't been altered at all.

Rob

I was told that many soldiers had that inner piece sewn in?? am I wrong?

Nice find! I never find anything at thrift stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. Some lucky fellow on here found a splittertarn smock for $5.95 at one. I can't remember who it was. I will have to find that thread.

Quote by Lowboy View Post
    I was told that many soldiers had that inner piece sewn in?? am I wrong?
    You're not completely wrong Many soldiers (and particularly officers) had the inner collar lined, usually with wool to match the rest of the blouse, so that it looked nicer when worn open with a tie. However, the BD pictured is unaltered from the factory... that's how they were made.

Who told you this? No-one here I'm sure...

Rob

I know that most Goodwill's militaria goes to it's online auction site. A few years ago you could pick up some deals but not much lately.

Jim

CBH
    ?

I still have some hope , one local second hand clothing store gets all its clothing out of the Eastern US . They just put it into bins and you have to dig for the good stuff . But once and a while you find a good piece . I've got some new issue camo , Vietnam issue BDU shirt and a pair of USAAF flight pants to name a few items . But you must visit often and put some time in. Also found an amazing Inuit pull over from the late 40's or early 50's . You never know what will be there , it makes me want to go now !
    Cheers Chris

for that price realy great grab.Eny background about owner?

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    The charity shops I go to in Britain rarely seem to have much militaria these days as I think most of it gets sorted before going on the shelves and the militaria gets sent for auction or to local dealers.
    Hi Bond,

You're correct in your assumption that stuff gets sorted before being put out on the shelves/racks at charity shops in the UK.

I do voluntary work for a national charity and as part of it, anything military or model kit related gets pushed in my direction first so that I can give it a once over.
    The shop that I work for also has links with a medals/badges collector/dealer for the same reason.

Unfortunately, or not, depending on your point of view, in my experience, there is not a lot of military related stuff "hitting the charity shops" lately, not in my area of the country anyway and I'm not sure if this is because people are doing private sales on the likes of EBay etc, hanging onto it or doing direct sales to dedicated militaria/surplus stores.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

CBH
    ?

Quote by ostlanddigger View Post
    for that price realy great grab.Eny background about owner?
    No information on the owner , not named or numbered . However the North Nova Scotia Highlanders tunic ,that I posted has a number on the underside of the inside pocket 8466 would this be his serial number ? Thanks for the replies .
    Cheers Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast