Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Superb ATS grouping

Article about: I think its unusual she carried a WW1 small pack as a side bag..the shoulder strap tabs and the buckles at the bottom have been cut off.Ill post more pics if i get any more of her items.

NCA
    ?

Default re: Superb ATS grouping

I think its unusual she carried a WW1 small pack as a side bag..the shoulder strap tabs and the buckles at the bottom have been cut off.Ill post more pics if i get any more of her items.

Default Re: Superb ATS grouping

This is great!

Use of an 1908 pattern small pack is unusual.

Cheers, Lez.

Quote by NCA View Post
    Heres some pictures of my ATS uniform i picked up recently.
    First off is the service jacket and skirt.Both are dated 1943 and comes with all the original insignia and lanyard.'my girl' was in the Anti-aircraft division throughout the war.Does anyone know what the black diamond patch is?Interestingly there is a 1st anti-aircraft division patch sewn inside the jacket?The skirt is a tiny 12inch waist!(measured flat)
    This is a rare lot mate and very impressive and its great to see such a set of genuine complete WW2 ATS kit, superb! Regards, Tim.

NCA
    ?

Thanks for the comments.Its a bit special i think...
    Another question regarding the jacket, on the inside bottom right there is a small cloth pocket stitched on..is this for a field dressing?Its not an added on pocket but part of the original jacket.

You are correct, it is for the Field Dressing.

Cheers, Ade.

NCA
    ?

Just thought i'd bump this thread due to all the ATS stuff recently.I'm still trying to pin down what the black diamond may represent?It has been suggested it may be a mourning patch??Also, not so long ago i was looking at the shoulder patches and noticed that the present insignia are stitched on top of older patches..they may also be anti aircraft..im not going to unpick them to find out!
    Enjoy!

Still loving it!

Cheers, Lez.

What a lovely grouping that really is

I have a couple of observations about it.

Firstly, the web side bag would appear to have been originally a Haversack from the 1914 Pattern Infantry Equipment. A very large number of these were converted to 1908 Pattern Web Equipment specification, both post-war and, according to photos I have seen, even during the Great War. The conversion consisted of simply removing the buckles on the sides and bottom and replacing them with 1908 type buckles. A very similar conversion was done pre-WW1 where the canvas GS Haversack (as used with the 1903 Bandolier Equipment) was similarly converted to 1908 web. All just Army 'good housekeeping' practices. As Lez says, yours seems to have been further modified by having the straps removed from the back and bottom.

The black diamond patch might well be a Royal Artillery regimental patch. These were quite common amongst RA Regiments, and always worn below the formation sign, just like that. The white lanyard too, would suggest that she was dressed regimentally, in the style of the RA rather than ATS, and I would suggest it might be Regt or Battery insignia for whatever HAA Regiment she was with.

Food for thought/research anyway...

Rob

NCA
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Superb ATS grouping

Thanks for the help Rob.That makes sense..
    I have gone over the jacket again and the inspection stamp on the inside shoulder has a date code of 'P'.I make that 1941.

NCA
    ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast