Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

U.S. Middy jumpers

Article about: Here are two middies from maybe ww1 to 1920's era. These were not worn by navy personnel. These were made for the civilian population to show support or a fashion item back then. The rates o

Default U.S. Middy jumpers

Here are two middies from maybe ww1 to 1920's era. These were not worn by navy personnel. These were made for the civilian population to show support or a fashion item back then. The rates on these two appear to be regulation, but no chief petty officer wore jumpers they had a different uniform. The tags say middy on them. I have to dig out a couple more examples and will post them when I find them.

Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Middy jumpers   U.S. Middy jumpers  

U.S. Middy jumpers  
    Attached Images Attached Images U.S. Middy jumpers  U.S. Middy jumpers 

Default Re: U.S. Middy jumpers

U.S. Middy jumpersU.S. Middy jumpers

I have this rating badge set and came with it's original bag. The maker is Liona, they made rates for the navy also. You can see a woman wearing one of these middies on the wrapper.

Jason

Excellent thread on how to ID these Civvy Jumpers. The insignia
    is very close to genuine CPO ( Chief Petty Officer ) patches.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Excellent thread on how to ID these Civvy Jumpers. The insignia
    is very close to genuine CPO ( Chief Petty Officer ) patches.
    Thanks, I acually think the the first two middy jumpers I posted the rates are navy regulation. The next one you can tell by the color of thread use in the Eagle and the color of the chevrons. The navy did have gold chevrons but the rates were bullion, I will show a example to show what I'm talking about.

Here's another middy
    US NAVY BULLION RATE GOLD CHEVRONS
    U.S. Middy jumpers
    NON US NAVY "MIDDY RATE GOLD CHEVRONS"
    U.S. Middy jumpers

Jason

Very good info, thanks for posting....now I can keep my eyes open for them!

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Very good info, thanks for posting....now I can keep my eyes open for them!
    Your welcome,
    I'll post a navy chief uniform just for comparison. Like I said in the above post cpo's never wore the jumpers.

This is the oldest cpo uniform I have. It is name and is dated 1911. I have this guys records from the NARA, he enlisted in the 1880's
    Sorry for the bad picture.

VEry good looking CPO, thanks for posting. We havn't added any navy uniforms to the collection other than a half dozen or so WWI and post war jumpers, but I've seen a couple of these older uniforms with embroidered rate/rank patches, I just didn't know enough about them to consider....hard to find good information on these as well. I'll start paying a bit more attention to these as well.

At what point did they STOP with the embrodered and go soley on sewn on rating patches?

They stop the sewn on chevrons in the 50's,but they did have a test run in 1943 with two style's of embroider chevrons with two makers. I will try to start a thread on rating badges and I will show example of this along with examples of rating badges from 1886-post ww2 or later. There is a good book on navy rating badges call UNITED STATES NAVY RATING BADGES AND MARKS 1833-2008 by John Stacey. You can find it on ebay and has color photo's it really is a great book full of information.

Jason

Thanks for the info Jason, will have a look for that book.....