Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

U.S Uniform Hand down questions

Article about: Hey guys so my dad gave me this uniform years ago because he Knew I loved ww2 it has sat in the back of my closet for years and I’ve never really took interest as my main part of collectin

Default U.S Uniform Hand down questions

Hey guys so my dad gave me this uniform years ago because he Knew I loved ww2 it has sat in the back of my closet for years and I’ve never really took interest as my main part of collecting is for the German side of ww2 but now that we are moving and have to pull it out of the closest I would like to know what I have at least I’m not sure if WW2, Korean War, or Vietnam thank you guys for any opinions!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S Uniform Hand down questions   U.S Uniform Hand down questions  

U.S Uniform Hand down questions   U.S Uniform Hand down questions  

Nice early WW2 4 pocket coat and uniform accessories.. The Soldier was in the transpiration Corps based on the collar brass and the insignia on the shoulder is for POE (Ports of Embarkation) where Soldiers would depart for overseas and return from combat theaters.. Several POEs were on the East Coast as well as West Coast..

Based on the insignia (ribbons, the Soldier was stateside for the war, but his job was just as critical ferrying men and supplies to the transports and other vessels at the POEs.

Also to note that the transportation corps not only had truck drivers and other duties, they controlled unit movements and many other aspects of the movement of troops from one location to another. This Soldier may not have been a truck driver but could have had something to do with unit movement control... (One of the guys standing by the gang plank calling off Soldier's names as they prepared to board the ships, is just one example of what the duties of the Corporal may have been assigned to the POE section...

A very nice stateside grouping.. The US collar brass is missing the disc but that is not a big issue.. Looks like a very clean and crisp uniform grouping..

Smitty

Thank you Rakkasan! I learned a lot just by that I appreciate it a lot! As I do not collect a lot of U.S militaria I was scared it might even be a reproduction. Thank you very much again very interesting to learn that this was a transportation Corps uniform

Very nice full uniform! Can't tell if it is just a cover or the whole visor cap from the pictures, but you've got the whole deal. Looks like it is named too with a laundry number so very researchable! Nice uniform, I love the stateside ones just as much as the overseas ones!

Hunt

Thank you! Yes it’s the whole visor just unfortunately in a bit of rough shape.

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Nice early WW2 4 pocket coat and uniform accessories.. The Soldier was in the transpiration Corps based on the collar brass and the insignia on the shoulder is for POE (Ports of Embarkation) where Soldiers would depart for overseas and return from combat theaters.. Several POEs were on the East Coast as well as West Coast..

Based on the insignia (ribbons, the Soldier was stateside for the war, but his job was just as critical ferrying men and supplies to the transports and other vessels at the POEs.

Also to note that the transportation corps not only had truck drivers and other duties, they controlled unit movements and many other aspects of the movement of troops from one location to another. This Soldier may not have been a truck driver but could have had something to do with unit movement control... (One of the guys standing by the gang plank calling off Soldier's names as they prepared to board the ships, is just one example of what the duties of the Corporal may have been assigned to the POE section...

A very nice stateside grouping.. The US collar brass is missing the disc but that is not a big issue.. Looks like a very clean and crisp uniform grouping..

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty,

I have had one of those patches for years with the wheel on it and could never figure out what it was .
    It also has a matching tab with United Kingdom on it .
    I will have to go and find it and post a pic so you can have a look at it.
    I always thought it was something to do with Merchant Nay.
    Cheers Rick

?

Nice complete uniform Giant!

Smitty,
    That was some fantastic information. I had never seen ship's wheel patch or insignia before and was thinking, What boats did the Army drive?? HIGGIN's???
    I just couldn't come up with one.

I'm also going to thank you for that lesson!

Is the nut on the front of the US lapel insignia also correct for this assignment or is that how it is attached to the lapel?

Semper Fi
    Phil

@ Phil,

It looks as if the collar brass was repaired and an expedient method of attaching the US to the collar was used.

@ Rick

There were several Arcs that are supposedly associated with the POE patch but I have never seen a uniform with an additional arc (tab). Here are the Arcs (tabs) Arctic, Atlantic, Azores, Bermuda, Casablanca, Greece, Gulf, NEAC, Pacific, Spain, Tripoli, Turkey, United Kingdom..

I have only the Atlantic Arc (Tab).. Would like to see others... Still researching the additional tabs and if they were worn on uniforms...

Best regards

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    @ Phil,

It looks as if the collar brass was repaired and an expedient method of attaching the US to the collar was used.

@ Rick

There were several Arcs that are supposedly associated with the POE patch but I have never seen a uniform with an additional arc (tab). Here are the Arcs (tabs) Arctic, Atlantic, Azores, Bermuda, Casablanca, Greece, Gulf, NEAC, Pacific, Spain, Tripoli, Turkey, United Kingdom..

I have only the Atlantic Arc (Tab).. Would like to see others... Still researching the additional tabs and if they were worn on uniforms...

Best regards

Smitty
    He is the one I have .
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1417234

Attachment 1417235