Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

U.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman Marcus

Article about: Hello Everyone, I was recently given a US winter overcoat that is supposedly from WWII. All I know about this tunic is that it was made after 1942 due to the plastic buttons. I am unsure of

Default U.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman Marcus

Hello Everyone,

I was recently given a US winter overcoat that is supposedly from WWII. All I know about this tunic is that it was made after 1942 due to the plastic buttons. I am unsure of the divisional insignia on the shoulder as well (don't know which division). Also what is a fair price for an overcoat like this considering that it is genuine, and is made by such a prestigious maker. Any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jake

Default Re: U.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman Marcus

Jake, If you attached a pic it didn't come through. John

oops sorry let me attach them!

U.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman MarcusU.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman MarcusU.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman MarcusU.S. Winter Overcoat by Neiman Marcus

?

This is the shoulder insignia,

"United States Army Service Forces shoulder patch. Overall patch measures approximately 2.5" in diameter. The insignia of the Army Service Forces consists of a blue five-pointed star, one point up, 1 3/8 inches in diameter on a white background within a red border, outside diameter 2 1/4 inches, inside six way rounded image. The patch was approved on July 30, 1941 and has had numerous designations.
    The Army Service Forces was one of the three autonomous components of the Army of the United States during World War II, the others being the Army Air Forces and Army Ground Forces. It was created on February 28, 1942 by Executive Order Number 9082 "Reorganizing the Army and the War Department," and War Department Circular No.59, dated March 2, 1942."
    Also the strips on the left sleeve cuff are overseas stripes the were given for 6 month of service overseas per strip.
    I hope that helps. That is a VERY nice looking jacket!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    This is the shoulder insignia,

"United States Army Service Forces shoulder patch. Overall patch measures approximately 2.5" in diameter. The insignia of the Army Service Forces consists of a blue five-pointed star, one point up, 1 3/8 inches in diameter on a white background within a red border, outside diameter 2 1/4 inches, inside six way rounded image. The patch was approved on July 30, 1941 and has had numerous designations.
    The Army Service Forces was one of the three autonomous components of the Army of the United States during World War II, the others being the Army Air Forces and Army Ground Forces. It was created on February 28, 1942 by Executive Order Number 9082 "Reorganizing the Army and the War Department," and War Department Circular No.59, dated March 2, 1942."
    Thanks for the help! Any idea if it is genuine or not?

?

Neiman Marcus has been around since the early 1900's. I am far from an expert, But it looks good to me, I'm sure one of the resident experts will chime in.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I like the look of it, and the sewing of the patches.
    Perhaps the buttons have been replaced.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I like the look of it, and the sewing of the patches.
    Perhaps the buttons have been replaced.........?
    I thought that they might have been replaced at first. After looking closely at them they seem to match up, right down to the color of thread they were put on with. Although I am far from an expert on U.S. Militaria, I still think that they are correct IMHO.

-Jake

Good original item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!