Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unidentified US Major General's Dress jacket

Article about: hi I just bought this item and I have no idea who it belonged too neither did the previous owner however it appears to be authentic and has sme nice medals on it such as a distinguished serv

Default Unidentified US Major General's Dress jacket

hi I just bought this item and I have no idea who it belonged too neither did the previous owner however it appears to be authentic and has sme nice medals on it such as a distinguished service cross on one arm it has a patch for the 82nd airborne he other arm for some reason has a patch for 2nd cavalry but the jacket it way post war ww2 most likely vietnam however it does have some ww2 medals on it such as ww2 victory take a look at the pics and any comments would be nice thanks!

*NOTE due to photo limits i couldnt put in pics of four gold bars on the left arm and inder the pocket wiht all the medals there is a basic airborne jump badge and a combat medicine badge (can see in big pic same with bars)

Default Re: Unidentified US Major General's Dress jacket

maybe i don't know enough (which is odd because i wore some of these ribbons myself), but what jumps out at me is the "japan clasp" on the US Army of Occupation Ribbon. it was my understanding that the clasp was worn only on the suspension ribbon of the full medal version and not the ribbon as it is being worn here. i have never seen this before. but it could be i just didn't know something that is in the regs.

Wow, that is a very interesting uniform, for such a high rank and so highly decorated man, it shouldn't be that hard tracking him down.
    In case you don't already know, the medals are as follows:
    Starting at top:
    Combat Infantry Badge(Awarded twice)

Medals:
    Distinguished Service Cross - Defense Distinguished Service Medal
    Silver Star - Legion of Merit
    Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster - Soldier's Medal
    Bronze star with oak leaf cluster and V device - Purple Heart with oak leaf cluster - Meritorious Service Medal
    Air Medal(Awarded 4 times) - Army Commendation Medal(With missing oak leaf cluster?) - American Defense Service Medal
    American Campaign Medal - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with campaign star and arrowhead device - World War II Victory Medal
    Army of Occupation Medal with Japan clasp - Medal for Humane Action - National Defense Service Medal
    Korean Service Medal - Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal - Vietnam Service Medal with campaign star - Humanitarian Service Medal
    Armed Forces Reserve Medal with M device - Unknown medal - Unknown medal - Unknown medal
    Unknown medal(Think it's Korea related) - Coast Guard Commendation Medal? - Unknown medal - Unknown medal

That's about it, it started to get a little "unknown" in the end, might just be need needing to go to bed at the moment, but I was not able to find them in the list of American military awards and decorations.
    Hopefully somebody will find out.

I demand a thank you for this, I should be in bed by now

The uniform would be Vietnam/post-Vietnam, maybe a recently deceased?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

The problems I see are that the rank stars appear to be collar devices,
    as they are oriented incorrectly on the straps. As well, there is a
    'Combat Medic Badge' AND a 'Combat Infantry Badge'.
    Medics are not combat soldiers, IMO.

From the label, the tunic looks to be of fairly recent
    manufacture. 1980's.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Something just doesn't ring true about this uniform. The 2nd Cav Division never saw combat. It was in North Africa for one day (9 March, 1944) and was deactivated the next day (10 March, 1944). I'm not so sure about all the different ribbons as well. Just a hunch, but it's my guess this has been doctored. Also 2 CIB's plus a Combat Medic's Badge? I don't think so. My 2 cents only.

Dusty

guys that bronze star has a silver oak leaf cluster? this would be for 5 awards of the bronze star, correct? and i seeing that right?
    there's a lot here, obviously, such that if the "odd" thing here and there didn't detract from the overall picture, as has already been said, it shouldn't be too hard to figure this one out.

but i have to say i feel like dustyr55 here a little.

and Walkwolf is correct. that label is 80s. it's exactly like the ones in the uniforms i wore from the early 80s on up.

i wouldn't know if that label wasn't used prior (Vietnam era), but it's a very familiar label to me.

As a Medic in Vietnam, it would be possible to win 5 Bronze stars, I suppose,
    but another ribbon with an OLC is the 'Distinguished Flying Cross', which
    would signify two awards of this medal - I'm not sure if an Army Officer
    would be eligible for this award.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-19-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

The more I look at it, the more I feel it's phony. Too many things just plain wrong with it.

Dusty

Too bad it can't talk and tell us the story.........
    Regards,

Steve.

thanks for the help but i was able to trace the stocknumber back and find out its a fake just surplus someone added stuff too makes me kinda sad but oh well thanks for the help although not sure if medals are real or not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast