Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uniform Collection Major C.H. Liddell MC

Article about: Hi guys, I thought i would share this buy from yesterday, i found them in a box all scrunched up (excuse the creases) in a house clearence shop. All the Tunics are named and range from 1937

?

Default Uniform Collection Major C.H. Liddell MC

Hi guys,

I thought i would share this buy from yesterday, i found them in a box all scrunched up (excuse the creases) in a house clearence shop. All the Tunics are named and range from 1937 to 1954. They all came with the correct trousers too. Two are not included in the photos and that is a Spare Battle Dress (no insignia but named) and trousers and a civilian dress jacket.

It seems that Major Charles Henry Liddell was a career officer in the Rifle Brigade and was awarded the Military Cross in 1941, here is his citation:

This Officer was in command of night patrols round NIBEIWA camp on the nights of 2/3 and 7/8 Dec 1940. On the first occasion accompanied by 2 NCO's he crawled through the defences between enemy sentry groups only 50 yards apart and located the A/Tk Minefields and also a gap in the defences. On the second occasion accompanied by the same NCO's he found enemy Tanks patrolled by sentries stationed apparently in the minefield.
    Although the Tanks were only 10 to 20 yards apart he suceeded in getting in between them, unseen by the patolling sentries and locate the gap in the minefield leading to the camps.
    The information gained by this officers gallant action was of great value and was probably intrumental in saving many casualties when the tank attack took place on the 9th Dec.

?

Default Re: Uniform Collection Major C.H. Liddell MC

Hi mate,

Will send the email tonight, was away from a PC yesterday. I should think that the GSM is Palestine because he was serving as an instructor in the RGJ Depot when Malaya was all kicking off.

Donnie

?

how sad that these were found in a house clearance ! great find donnie

al

?

?

that`s what they call a monkey suit ain`t it ?

This is a very nice group. Never be tempted to split it up.

The service dress is a wartime austerity pattern made from 1942 until 1945.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade,

Thanks for the comments, i really love this group and doubt i will ever get rid of them, i want to get a mannequin and display the Battledress with a tin helmet, belt and webley. I only paid £90.00 for the lot so i think i did really well

Donnie

Rick
    ?

nice collection

Rick

Hi Josh, £90 was a real bargain! Well done.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade,

I have a photo pending at the RGJ Museum of Major Liddell wearing the No1 Jacket and trousers i have, it really brought the items to life. His MC Citation was a good one aswell. I think Liddell had planned for me to have his belongings because i bought separatly two WW1 photos of soldiers framed for £5.00 each and when i got them home they were named on the back Liddell and inside the frame was a folded copy of a newspaper from 1918 ....it was like stepping back in time...i just sat there and read it through...

Donnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast