Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown WW2 Waistcoat

Article about: There is a very similar looking garment on page 127 of the excellent 'The World War 11 Tommy' and it is worn by a Royal Artillery gunner and is described as 'Coat, Duffel'. The fabric looks

Default Unknown WW2 Waistcoat

Hey everyone,

We have been given this 1942 dated white wool/felt type material jersey/waistcoat. Marked R.O.F Waistcoat Jersey White Mans.

I have tried researching this and am coming up with nothing. I think it might be a liner of some sort.

It is in a sealed bag and looks to have been attacked by moths so if possible id like to keep it sealed for now

Any contributions appreciated as always!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WW2 Waistcoat   Unknown WW2 Waistcoat  

Default Re: Unknown WW2 Waistcoat

The only ROF I can think of is for the Royal Ordnance Factory, so maybe for munitions workers?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, Just did a little looking into that and came across something that explained how they had to wear white so they could be easily checked for fragments of metal so it didn't mix with the cordite.

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Thanks Jerry, Just did a little looking into that and came across something that explained how they had to wear white so they could be easily checked for fragments of metal so it didn't mix with the cordite.
    ....And the reason it's made of felt is because it doesn't generate static electricity, which could spoil yer whole week....Well worked out guys!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The factory where I did my apprenticeship had been part of the ROF at Llanishen in Cardiff during WWII and the unit next door was still known as the ROF. There were lots of ROF's in many towns producing munitions and weapons for the war effort.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

remember seeing these when I was a kid in the royal arsenal Woolwich.

Cheers for all the info guys! Not bad for a free item. We also got given a blanket she said was her fathers during WW2 and also says she's going to see if there's anymore stuff we can have.

Would you guys say these are pretty common? Im thinking of keeping it in the bag to preserve it.

I wouldn't know if they're common, it's not something you'll see everyday that's for sure. Might be a good idea to bang the bag in the freezer for a week to kill off any moth eggs and other such nasties and stop any further damage.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    I wouldn't know if they're common, it's not something you'll see everyday that's for sure. Might be a good idea to bang the bag in the freezer for a week to kill off any moth eggs and other such nasties and stop any further damage.

Regards, Ned.
    Good idea! Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast