Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots

Article about: by jimpy Great uniform group guys, the bit that really caught my eye though was the 17AB patch. They "bounced the Rhine" with my late grand-father's unit in WW2. He was 4th Grenadi

Default Re: US 17th and 82nd Airborne Ike Jacket, Hat and Boots

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Great uniform group guys, the bit that really caught my eye though was the 17AB patch.
    They "bounced the Rhine" with my late grand-father's unit in WW2. He was 4th Grenadier Guards, 6th Guards (Tank) Brigade. He always spoke highly of them and I have always wanted to get hold of a genuine WW2 17AB shoulder patch to put on a small display with a 6G(T)B patch.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Ian,
    I suspect your grand-father had many great tales of his exploits during that period. The 17th Abn patch is not that scarce and I see them often on e-bay. Shouldn't be to hard to find a good one for a few bucks.
    Terry

?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Ian,
    I suspect your grand-father had many great tales of his exploits during that period. The 17th Abn patch is not that scarce and I see them often on e-bay. Shouldn't be to hard to find a good one for a few bucks.
    Terry
    Hi Terry

Im a bit wary of eBay, seen/heard of too many people getting burnt on it, but I do scan the pages every so often "just in case!"

I do have a postcard and envelope from his effects, that I like to think came from one of his mates in 17thAB, unfortunately theres no sender's name or unit on it other than "FROM SAD SACK. US ARMY" (I'll photo and post them sometime over the next few days)

Funnily enough, my grand-dad, like a lot of soldiers who served, talked very little about his actual war service. He would happily give me chapter and verse about his home service, but getting him to say anything about when he was "up the front" was like getting blood out of a stone. I think/know that this was because of some of the things that he saw when in the ETO. (I do know that he was one of the first allied troops into either Buchanwaldt or Bergan/Belsen and only ever told me about that episode once and that was because I was doing a history project at school and "pushed the issue" His comment was, "I will tell you once and then it stops and you never ask me about that again"

Anyway, enough for now. sorry for hijacking the thread Terry

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Very interesting thread, reading the comments bring back some very good memories, also some not so good, but thats life. Thanks for the smiles. Oh yeah, really nice set up. John

?

I'm just getting into US side of collecting. Couple questions;

What does the cloth backing of the jump wings mean and what is the aguillette for.

It really is a beautiful uniform group.

Quote by Tricot View Post
    I'm just getting into US side of collecting. Couple questions;

What does the cloth backing of the jump wings mean and what is the aguillette for.

It really is a beautiful uniform group.

Tricot,
    Welcome aboard the collecting train. You'll find it a very interesting and rewarding hobby. The oval behind the jump wing represents the unit the individual is assigned to. This particular one is the 1st Battalion, 505th Infantry Regt, 82nd Airborne Division. The cord called a fourragere, on the shoulder is a french award (Quoix de Guerre) that was presented to the division during WW2. Their was also an orange one from Belgium that was worn by the soldiers that actually participated in that campaign during the war.

Hope this helps some.

Major T. R. Morris US Army Ret

?

Been doing the German thing and realized I need some balance. Let's just say the US stuff gives off positive vibes.

Regarding the fourragere, I have a 2 Armored Div Ike with one and a 2nd Armored 4 pocket without. I'll hit Google and see if I can find out what units were awarded them. Was the wearing optional or was it just an ETO thing?

As far as US collecting, it seems the Airborne items cost the big bucks.

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Tricot,
    Welcome aboard the collecting train. You'll find it a very interesting and rewarding hobby. The oval behind the jump wing represents the unit the individual is assigned to. This particular one is the 1st Battalion, 505th Infantry Regt, 82nd Airborne Division. The cord called a fourragere, on the shoulder is a french award (Quoix de Guerre) that was presented to the division during WW2. Their was also an orange one from Belgium that was worn by the soldiers that actually participated in that campaign during the war.

Hope this helps some.

Major T. R. Morris US Army Ret

?

Terry,

I found a Thomas A. Robinson who served with the 155th Airborne Antiaircraft Battalion of the 17th Airborne during the war. Not sure if he is the same guy, but it is a start!

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Terry,

I found a Thomas A. Robinson who served with the 155th Airborne Antiaircraft Battalion of the 17th Airborne during the war. Not sure if he is the same guy, but it is a start!
    Beast,
    Thanks much. Could very well be, a relook at the boots and their is a middle initial A. Does your research show a serial number?
    Thanks again.
    Terry

ahhh the western desert i still have sand in my ass crack from 91 love the uniform can see him swaggering around in it now !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2