Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

US 1st Cav Uniform, Service, Officers, OD, Dark, Elastique

Article about: A new one today, appears to be an Aust made felt patch? shame it's missing the belt! late 42 contract.

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi René
    This is what I like about our hobby.

We have to become a mixture of Police detective, a student of textile history as well as being an amateur historian add to the fact that 80 years ago no one gave a bats guano where the patch was made!!!

The felt backing on US patches late 30's-41/42 tends to be thicker than the design which is normally melton wool or thin felt.

If the felt backing on 1st Cav is thick it could be like the 1st Division -US made.

Your Aussie Base unit would be thin felt like the horse head and bar , so my thought still is US based design.

But its only my opinion, which ever camp it falls into , its what a lot of 1st Cav. collectors would love to have and a early war Officers service Jacket.

Phill
    Cheers Phill And a Huge THANKS
    the backing is thin as the rest of the patch and looks to be of the same felt type as the Aust one I've shown. Sewing also looks very similar but..

----correction backing is thicker!

?

Hi Rene,
    I really like your first comparison image with the Australian unit patch... Looks ‘right’ to me.
    Plus, 1st Cavalry was in your neck of the woods (well, maybe down the road a bit), long enough for him to get a nice, big local patch made up.
    It makes sense to me.
    Bloody nice tunic mate!
    Well done again,
    Bob

Off topic for the most part, but I figure to whack this one here. Quick shots of a Army Service Forces example Wifey & I really worked hard for, cutting up a mates fallen gum tree out his back yard!
    Never seen this unusual leather pocket thingy I guess... well I have no idea.. well it must have something to do with the belt!?!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3