Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings

Article about: Another recent addition to my small USAAF collection, was this nice aircrew EM's SSGT 8th AAF 4 pocket service tunic, and I think rather nice with a bullion aircrew set of wings. It would ha

Quote by Bob Lyons View Post
    Thanks again, your help is really assisting me with filling in the gaps. I did check the pockets, sadly no other numbers in there.

I will look through your sites posted (again with thanks) and see if there are any close matches,

Best wishes

Bob
    I hope you have some good luck! I'll take a peek this weekend as well to see what I can find. My time is less than limited right now with a 6 month old. But this keeps me busy and interested when he's asleep!

Of the 55 hits on the laundry number, 4 names showed up in the cross-reference. Unfortunately no conclusive information on who it could be.

Enrique G Ramirez - Service Numbers don't match.

John J Reardon - Service Numbers don't match.

James Ross - No overlapping detail because the American Air Museum did not have any information other than name and unit. Did serve with the 8th AAF - 835 Bomb Squadron, 486th Bomb Group.

Frank A Rothwell - Only detail in the American Air Museum was that he was a SSgt and did serve with the 8th AAF. KIA - 3/26/1944. 615th Bomb Squadron, 401st Bomb Group.

Well, this gets a little more interesting:

https://www.abmc.gov/search-abmc-bur...0#.VdsoBCVVgXs

Frank A Rothwell

Frank A Rothwell | American Air Museum in Britain

A direct flak hit on a mission to Watten, FR on 26 Mar 1944, caused B-17G #42-37833 'Omar the Dent Maker' to explode in mid-air and crash E of Abbeville, FR. Killed in Action (KIA).

http://401bg.org/Main/History/Member...s.aspx?ID=0589

I'm beginning to really think this is your guy. Here are a couple of pictures and he appears to be wearing the tunic that started this thread.

Frank Augustine Rothwell

?

Great researching I'm guessing this pic was taken before they went overseas. Would that be correct Ed?
    I'm only seeing AF shoulder patches and no 8th AF patches on there.

Semper Fi

Thanks Phil!

That would be my thought as well as I only see the AAF SSI. What makes me think the tunic is one in the same, and I may be seeing what I want, is the size and shape of the wing and the shape of the collar and lapel. To me, the cutout where they meet seem very narrow as is similar to the tunic in the OP.

The "Frank Augustine Rothwell" in my prior post is actually a link to the source of the picture and some background on this gentleman.

Holy Cow !!You are just amazing Aurelius !! I was attempting to navigate your sites, but wasn't having any great success at all, and was absolutely
    gobsmacked when I had a look this morning and found your replies, amazing research, and a huge thank you mate.

Thanks again, and your help is truly appreciated.

Best wishes

Bob

My pleasure Bob!

It would appear you have the tunic of a very well decorated man who gave his all during the war.

If it were me, I would go over it with a fine tooth comb to see if you can find any other markings to further confirm his identity.

There is another site I found today and will post later when I'm at my computer. I believe his family had been contacted by a family who cares for his gravesite.

I will have another look, so far the stencilled laundry mark is the only internal markings so far, but will go over it again today,
    by the way, sent you a PM too....

Cheers

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast