Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!

Article about: This grouping belonged to the uncle of a buddy of mine. His Uncle was (I believe) a radioman and gunner on the 9th Air Force B26 Marauder My Colleen in the buildup to D-Day and then on diffe

Default US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!

This grouping belonged to the uncle of a buddy of mine. His Uncle was (I believe) a radioman and gunner on the 9th Air Force B26 Marauder My Colleen in the buildup to D-Day and then on different B26s after My Colleen broke up when landing at their base in England after being damaged over Normandy.

My buddy brought the grouping over for me to check out and photograph. It was an amazing experience and I was honored to handle it all!

Here is his uncle's painted A2 jacket:
    US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!

Here is the photo album that came in the grouping:
    US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!

Finally, here is the diary that my buddy's uncle wrote from just before DDay up until he finished his mission quota over Holland. (Hopefully these photos upload in order...)
    US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!US 9TH Air Force Grouping. PAINTED A2 JACKET!!

MAP
    ?

That sound was my jaw hitting the floor. Awesome piece of history......I can say no more...

Two questions?
    1) Do we know what the unfinished ink is under the the yellow "Frankie"
    2) What does the red patch say below his name

And finally. Tell your friend NOT to store it on a hanger. This can ruin leather jackets over time (or so I have been told). Hopefully others can tell you the best way to store if this is correct.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for taking a look, Michael!

I don't know what the unfinished ink is... But it kind of looks like a bulldog wearing a helmet?

The patch under his name is also his name but written in Arabic. Perhaps he saw service in North Africa?

I'll tell my buddy about the hanger. Thanks!

MAP
    ?

As far as the hanger is concerned this is what I was told. I guess it makes sense if it is sitting on a cheap thin wire or plastic hanger.

It may be OK if you get the wide wooden suit hangers that evenly spread out the heavy weight of the leather over a broader area. I alway pick these up at garage sales when I can find them (the old ones are very well made) and use them for my wool tunics and my own suits. they are easily 2 inches wide at the ends where most of the weight of the jacket is. I have seen examples of old leather jackets sitting on thin wire hangers. Over time the leather rips or deforms where the sleave meets the shoulders and ruins the jacket. A half mannequin or dress form would be best.

Back to the jacket:

I thought it looked Arabic but wasn't sure.

this IMHO is an awesome grouping. The diary and pictures themselves are fantastic. 65 MISSIONS!!! Wow!!!!

Something I would love to own. If he EVER wants to pass it along to someone who will care for it, I will happily raise my hand...LoL.

A jacket in mint conditon like this, the fantastic paint job and with the provenance it has is worth a nice chunk of change.

When I have more time I will read throught the pages of the diary in more detail.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

glad he made it home,great stuff.

?

An outstanding grouping friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast