Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Army Officer's Uniform?

Article about: I was going through my closet today to clean some stuff out and found this uniform that I got a long time ago. I'm not entirely sure what the correct name for it is and I don't think the pan

Default US Army Officer's Uniform?

I was going through my closet today to clean some stuff out and found this uniform that I got a long time ago. I'm not entirely sure what the correct name for it is and I don't think the pants that came with it are suppose to go with the jacket since they're made from a different material. Besides the black tag there are no other markings on the jacket and it seems like there were never any collar insignias attached. Also when taking it out I notice that some crudely done stitching between the collar and the triangular piece below it was coming out. The black stitching is done on both sides and is pretty weak, is it suppose to be removed? There is an army service corps patch, but due to the lack of any other insignia I don't think it's original to the jacket. The pants have the marking M-3845 in two places. My knowledge on uniforms is very basic so if anyone has any info on this I'd love to hear it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army Officer's Uniform?   US Army Officer's Uniform?  

US Army Officer's Uniform?   US Army Officer's Uniform?  

US Army Officer's Uniform?  

MAP
    ?

I'll let the uniform guys tell you what it is. But it is a custom made jacket.

Leave the black stitching where it is. It is to prevent the collars from curling up. It might have been done by the tailor or by the soldier.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'll let the uniform guys tell you what it is. But it is a custom made jacket.

Leave the black stitching where it is. It is to prevent the collars from curling up. It might have been done by the tailor or by the soldier.
    Thank you for the info! It being a custom uniform explains the reason why it doesn't have many markings on it and the material. I'm happy to know the black stitching isn't integral to the uniform and won't fall apart if it's a little damaged.

The trousers are post war as overlock sewing machines weren't around at the time

Must add that I did acquire one fairly recently that only has this tag in the inner pocket for comparison

It is an officers jacket for a soldier with the Army Service Forces. This was a wartime component of the US Army. Unfortunately it's not uncommon the see officers uniforms that have been stripped of their collar and rank insignia. I have a couple in my collection that I've found. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. It's my opinion the SSI is original to the jacket and the pants belong with it.