Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US dress uniform

Article about: Ladies and Gentlemen, on looking through my "pool" of uniforms I re-discovered this US uniform I bought at a flea market many years ago. I don't know a thing about US dress uniform

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The uniform was introduced around 1956. I grew up with this uniform. The Metz patch is interesting, and, of course, the US Army withdrew from Metz ca. 1966-7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpklGJRzodc
    F.-B.: Thank you for the extremely instructive link!

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    F.-B.: Thank you for the extremely instructive link!
    You are very welcome. The history of U.S. forces in Europe after 1945, or before, too, are themes of mine.

The Communications Zone arose in the epoch of the Korean War and then was disassembled in the French withdrawal from SHAPE in 1966-7.

An excerpt from the USAREUR history office ca. 1983

".....France, Reforger, Effects of Vietnam
    In March 1966 the De Gaulle government declared that the United States must vacate its bases in France within one year. Headquarters for USEUCOM moved from Camp des Loges on the outskirts of Paris to Stuttgart. Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers Europe moved to Casteau near Mons, Belgium. Headquarters for Allied Forces Central Europe moved from Fountainbleau to Brunssum, the Netherlands. And in December 1967, USAREUR and Seventh Army headquarters merged and remained in Heidelberg. The four headquarters commands remain at those locations today.

The major event in USAREUR in 1968 was the movement of the first REFORGER units back to the United States. Ultimately, the decision to withdraw troops from Europe was political and based on financial (gold flow) rather than military considerations. The REFORGER action withdrew about 28,000 spaces from USAREUR. The redeployed units remained committed to NATO and were expected to return to Europe annually for training exercises.

In January 1969 REFORGER I was conducted -- 12,187 dual-based troops returned, drew prepositioned equipment and conducted a field exercise. The Return of Forces to Germany exercises have continued annually as a demonstration of U.S. resolve and capability to rapidly reinforce Europe.

In the mid-1960s USAREUR began to feel the effects of the Vietnam War. Many units became short-handed, and experienced NCOs, captains and field grade officers were withdrawn and replaced by younger, inexperienced enlisted men and officers. In 1970 the M-16AI rifle, the TOW anti-tank weapon, the OH-58A observation helicopter and the AH-1G Cobra were added to USAREUR's arsenal...."

https://www.usarmygermany.com/USAREU...ory.htm#Moving
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-18-2016 at 09:44 PM.

The story of the US Army in Austria until 1955 is yet another saga, to be sure.

Hi Friedrich-B

Here are some US Army Austria SSI

US made SSI with unofficial Vienna tab

Attachment 982725

US made SSI with unconfirmed Vienna tab

Attachment 982726

German made SSI

Attachment 982727

Austrian Theater made SSI

Attachment 982728

HQ US Forces Austria US made.

Attachment 982729

Phill

Very nice, thank you.

?

Gentlemen,

again, thanks a lot! I will give this uniform away (sell or swap) - should anybody be interested, please send me a PM, thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2