Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently purchased a US military wool coat on eBay, and was wondering if some of the experts here on the site wouldn't mind taking a look, and maybe giving me a date for it

Default US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a US military wool coat on eBay, and was wondering if some of the experts here on the site wouldn't mind taking a look, and maybe giving me a date for it. It is still in the mail, so the only pictures I have are the ones that were posted on the auction. It is a size 38R and only $10 so I couldn't pass it up; and I am also wondering what the best method would be to remove the stains. Is it possible to wash these old coats in a standard machine? Also, approximate value?

Thanks everyone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.   US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.  

US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.   US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.  

US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.  

Default Re: US Military Double Breasted Wool Coat. Help Identify Please.

Hi, it is a nice original WW2 US enlisted mans greatcoat. It is later production as noted by the plastic buttons, earlier ones had gilt metal.

There will be a maker label in the pocket.

DO NOT WASH IT! The label in the pocket will wash out.

The stains may brush off. Failing that try and dab them off with a damp cloth only. Do not heavily wet the material as you may get a damp mark left on it.

A good buy.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: I have added the pics to the forum. Please don't use outside hosting. Thanks.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Incredible! The seller didn't say anything about a label in the pocket, so hopefully it is still there when I receive it and will post an update to this thread. The seller stated that it has a strong odor; that along with the stains would it be OK to have this dry cleaned? Also sorry for the pictures, I will remember that the next time I post.

Thanks again

Brush it down and then I would air it outdoors on a washing line.

Dry cleaning is usually OK. But try and take it to someone who knows about cleaning old garments. Talk to them and find out when they re new the cleaning fluid. You want it done when it is fresh.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi, nice coat.
    And a bargain for that price.
    Lucky guy.

Just leave it in the open air, you will notice the difference after a few hours.
    Thats what i do with my uniforms.

Cheers.
    Nuno

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, it is a nice original WW2 US enlisted mans greatcoat. It is later production as noted by the plastic buttons, earlier ones had gilt metal.

There will be a maker label in the pocket.

DO NOT WASH IT! The label in the pocket will wash out.

The stains may brush off. Failing that try and dab them off with a damp cloth only. Do not heavily wet the material as you may get a damp mark left on it.

A good buy.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: I have added the pics to the forum. Please don't use outside hosting. Thanks.

Thanks guys for your help! Got the coat today. In which pocket should the tag be? cant seem to find one.

Then it might have been removed. But no worries the coat is wartime.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Then it might have been removed. But no worries the coat is wartime.

Cheers, Ade.
    Great, thanks! Also, do you happen to know if these are 100% wool or a blend? I am just curious.

Thanks again

They are described on the label as "Wool, Melton". So they should be wool only.

Cheers, Ade.