Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US navy muster rolls

Article about: Hi, just wondered if anyone had access to the above rolls on ancestry.com ? my subscription only covers UK records, I have a WW2 made US naval jersey with the name Malone T J on the label an

jwp
    ?

Default US navy muster rolls

Hi, just wondered if anyone had access to the above rolls on ancestry.com ? my subscription only covers UK records, I have a WW2 made US naval jersey with the name Malone T J on the label and also stencilled on the inside front and rear, the rank insignia is for petty officer 3rd class radioman. many thanks in anticipation. John.

Hi John.
    In the US its very hard to research any personal record from WWII due to the national archives records fire in 1973. The awful incident destroyed a majority of individual WWII records and collectors have been feeling the “burn” ever since. While I would encourage you to keep hope, just know that the information you are seeking may be difficult to obtain. I wish you the best of luck!

jwp
    ?

many thanks for your reply, without a service number it was always a slim chance !, did find out I could access the muster rolls on ancestry via my local county library, about 40+ T.J.Malone's on there but could only find one at the same rank who served on L.C.I 568 so a slim possibility !!!, Thanks again, John.

I don't currently have a membership to Ancestry or Fold3 but, fortunately, the Navy and USMC records were not impacted by the fire. If you have a chance to search the rolls on either site they are pretty well complete and if you find your man the records can be obtained.

Good luck.

jwp
    ?

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    I don't currently have a membership to Ancestry or Fold3 but, fortunately, the Navy and USMC records were not impacted by the fire. If you have a chance to search the rolls on either site they are pretty well complete and if you find your man the records can be obtained.

Good luck.
    many thanks, will go through the records again at the weekend !