Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US Navy uniform - ww2 or post-war?

Article about: Unfortunately, there is very little if any way to tell the difference between a WWI dress blue and a WWII era dress blue. From WW I until shortly after the end of WW II, few changes were mad

Unfortunately, there is very little if any way to tell the difference between a WWI dress blue and a WWII era dress blue. From WW I until shortly after the end of WW II, few changes were made to enlisted uniforms.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The jumper appears to be of a different material other than wool. If it is not wool it is possible this is a working blue jumper. The Navy used to have a working white and working blue jumper for everyday use. That might explain why the color is more blue than black in color. Even the we call the dress blue jumpers they are really black in color.
    I also I have never seen one with a loop on the front to hold the neckerchief.
    If the jumper is a denim type material it is a working jumper.
    Pants are typical wool dress blue bottoms. I am leaning towards pre WW2 more and more.
    Here is a site with some info on dates uniforms were approved for use by the Navy.
    Navy Uniform History

In the first photos of the jumper, it looks more like wool than the next set shows-I think it's just a lighting trick, is all. The scarf loop jumpers date back to WWII and earlier. It can't be a working jumper, though, as it has the white trim on it, so it is more likely a dress blues.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The uniform is ww1-1920's. The rating badge was added like stated earlier by another member. The uniforms of that era had the loop at the chest area and the pants have the checker blue lining. The flat hats have that type of lining also of that era unless it was private purchase. The rating badge is ww2 or just post ww2. Nice uniform by the way.

Jason

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2