Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US Navy Uniforms Any Info Would Be Appreceiated

Article about: Hi Steve, I think it's U.S. but it's not Navy. Made for the civilian market(kids and women). Jason

Default Re: US Navy Uniforms Any Info Would Be Appreceiated

BTW, anyone know anything about this uniform?
    What era, rank etc?
    I am considering purchasing it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Navy Uniforms Any Info Would Be Appreceiated   US Navy Uniforms Any Info Would Be Appreceiated  

Glad you like it . . . meaning the minesweeper uniform.

Maybe some of the experts can share with us a bit of their knowledge in what makes these particular uniforms WWII vintage. I can say that the third uniform is most likely WWII due to the fact that the motor machinest rate was done away with in 1948, not likely even an open rate post war, but that about taps my knowledge. I've seen many make the case of WWII because of the ruptured duck patch and the flat top hat but both of these were around long post WWII. The original wool went away at some point but I don't know exacty when. We've got a few navy jumpers that we picked up under the pretense of being WWII but I'm not so sure myself that this is true. Can someone please educate us a bit?

Anyone?

Anton,
    This uniform is not military. Back then(ww1-ww2,and later) these uniforms were very popular with civilian use. I have a few example from ww1-1920's. You can tell usually by the rating badge and the tag. Another name for these jumpers are called middies because the tag has that on.

Jason

MySonsDad,
    There are a few things that I look at to determine the age of navy jumpers. The fist thing I look at is the tag if any. The tags that are on the 3 above jumper were use during the war and are usually on the top back under the jumper flap. I was told these were use post war also because they had supplies left over from the war, so you can't go on that alone.
    The rating badge and or shoulder patches also help determine when these were use. The rupture duck patch is a good sign too even though he could of been in until post war or occupation duty. The shoulder patches were abolished in January 1947.
    The construction of the rating badge also helps. The chevrons are usually stich on and not enbroider on. But in 1943 there was a test run of embrioder chevrons so you have to be carefull.
    If a uniform is named sometimes I can find the muster rolls on ancestry. That helps too but the muster rolls are not complete.
    I hope this helps and I'm not confusing anyone.

Jason

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Here is Uniform B
    Blue top and pants (Oh and some matches I found in the breast pocket).
    I found a muster roll on Albert Winett. This muster roll is from 1943. Your man is on line 26.

US Navy Uniforms Any Info Would Be Appreceiated

Jason

I found Sidney. They must have been brothers. Their numbers are only 1 digit apart.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Now I have a much better idea what I am looking at.
    It is funny, there are a lot of USCG uniforms being sold as Navy on ebay.
    I guess they dont know about the emblem on the sleve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Navy Uniforms Any Info Would Be Appreceiated  

I found Sidney. They must have been brothers. Their numbers are only 1 digit apart.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Now I have a much better idea what I am looking at.
    It is funny, there are a lot of USCG uniforms being sold as Navy on ebay.
    I guess they dont know about the emblem on the sleve.
    Your welcome, and from my experience the coast guard uniforms are harder to come by.

Jason

BTW, anyone know anything about this uniform?What era, rank etc?
    I am considering purchasing it.
    Post #11 - This one is not WWII US Navy. If it is, the sleeve insignia is wrong, IMO.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast