Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US survival vest .ww2 or post war ?

Article about: A friend of mine just popped over to see me said he had something I might like and this is what he produced .Said I can have it for \\$10 So I thought why not for that sort of money .He said h

Default US survival vest .ww2 or post war ?

A friend of mine just popped over to see me said he had something I might like and this is what he produced .Said I can have it for $10 So I thought why not for that sort of money .He said he knows nothing about it was something his old man had in the shed when he past away . Is this ww2 or post war ? either way I think the $10 is well spent . thanks guys
    regards matty.
    US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?

I recall first seeing one of these back in the late 1970's. I had to take it down to a dealer in London on behalf of another dealer friend in Nottingham. At the time I was shocked to find it was wartime.

You have done great.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

WOW so it's wartime issue that's is great my hunch was correct then . The only reason I thought it might be wartime was the fact that the patch said army air forces on it . It's a very interesting piece how all the pockets are labelled and numbered I'v never seen anything like it before .It could almost pass as Vietnam era very ahead of it's time well so it seems to me in comparison to some of the other kit I have from commonwealth country's . I'm guessing it was made for bomber aircrew ? I'd love to get my hands on a wartime era picture of one being used .

- - ------- - -

Oh cheers for confirming my hunch mate

Everything marked Army Air Forces pre-dates 1948, as the airforce became seperate from the army in 1947. These vests are nicely illustrated in Martin Brayleys book 'USAAF Airman, Service and Survival' He explains they were for fliers who might be shot down in inhospitable regions, especially over jungle. The contents were, sun hat, sunglasses, signal mirror, sharpening stone. fishing and sewing kits, spit and gaff, water canteen, knives (fixed and folding), toilet issue, bandage, matches, compass, fire starters, burning magnifying glass, whistle, oil container, .45 pistol, 20 rounds, first aid kit, survival manual, rations, flares, mosquito net, collapsible container for boiling water, and gloves. Its amazing what it fitted! He says the early models had slanted pockets (yours) and the late war types had straight pockets. He says they were usually carried in on an aircraft in an adapted Musette bag which would then be clipped to the parachute harness.

This was clearly a bargain.

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Its amazing what it fitted!
    Indeed!!!

, toilet issue,
    We are talking some pretty BIG pockets here!!

I am of course just kidding and know, what you meant. Thanks for stating what the vest contained. Amazing, what they were able to fit in there. Not a bad idea at all for those marooned in an inhospitable area.

Everything marked Army Air Forces pre-dates 1948, as the airforce became seperate from the army in 1947. These vests are nicely illustrated in Martin Brayleys book 'USAAF Airman, Service and Survival' He explains they were for fliers who might be shot down in inhospitable regions, especially over jungle. The contents were, sun hat, sunglasses, signal mirror, sharpening stone. fishing and sewing kits, spit and gaff, water canteen, knives (fixed and folding), toilet issue, bandage, matches, compass, fire starters, burning magnifying glass, whistle, oil container, .45 pistol, 20 rounds, first aid kit, survival manual, rations, flares, mosquito net, collapsible container for boiling water, and gloves. Its amazing what it fitted! He says the early models had slanted pockets (yours) and the late war types had straight pockets. He says they were usually carried in on an aircraft in an adapted Musette bag which would then be clipped to the parachute harness.
    This was clearly a bargain.

Who doesn't love a bargain, well done mate. Buy your friend a beer

Great job !

That's like free.

The early pattern aren't easy to find. I have both early and late type (one each).

Cheers!
    Taka

Excellent acquisition you have there-pistol would have been a 4" barrel Victory S&W .38 Super revolver-that was the standard Aircrew survival weapon up to about 1990 as it was smaller, lighter and utterly reliable in that role.

I expect various pistols were used, but in this particular case you are mistaken, as I am attaching a contemporary copy of the official contents list of this vest, stating .45 pistol and ammunition. My experience does suggest that this was the most commonly used pistol, and I am also attaching a photograph from my collection of a USAAF airman who is clearly armed with a 1911 .45.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?   US  survival vest .ww2 or post war ?  

Thanks for the great info doug and thanks also for the pictures . The vest type emergency kit leaflet sheet is just great Do these come up for sale often or well ever ? I'v never seen one .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast