Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket

Article about: Hi all, Any help with this tunic greatly appreciated, it came from an old collection, and hasn't been fiddled with in any way, except for the ribbons etc being removed, and there is no name

Default US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket

Hi all,

Any help with this tunic greatly appreciated, it came from an old collection, and hasn't been fiddled with in any way, except for the ribbons etc being
    removed, and there is no name inside the jacket anywhere, so no chance of researching the Captain that once wore this jacket.

I am not up to speed on US Army tunic regs, I was wondering why the jacket has a 26th Infantry Division patch on one sleeve, and the 4th Armoured
    Division patch on the active sleeve.

The lapels on one side have had a previous patch of some form on one side only, before the Cavalry insignia was added.

I think the 4th Armoured Division was involved in some heavy fighting around Bastogne during the 'Battle of the Bulge', and were heavily involved in actions
    right through from D-Day to V-E Day.

Any extra information greatly received, and I will look for a representative range of ribbons for the tunic if I can find out some more history behind the
    jacket.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket   US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket   US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket   US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

?

The officer was overseas for 18 months . he is a cavalry Officer. With out a name it's almost impossible to find what ribbons he would have earned . I would leave it as is .

You were allowed to wear your old unit's insignia on the opposite sleeve, hence the Yankee Div insignia.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks RH1941 and Ade, and yes I knew about the previous unit etc, I should have added a little more info in that regard, my point was that the 26th was an Infantry
    unit, and the 4th being Armoured, I was wondering if he simply transferred to the Cav from the 26th, or if the 26th Infantry Division had some form of affiliation with
    the 4th Armoured Division... ?? Sorry for being a pest...

Thanks again,

Cheers

Bob

I suspect he was in the US 26th Reconnaissance Troop, this was the Cav Reccon element of the US 26th Inf Div.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I suspect he was in the US 26th Reconnaissance Troop, this was the Cav Reccon element of the 26 Div.
    Thanks heaps Ade, that was indeed what I was after :-)

Cheers

bob

Would not necessarily have a name inside,but a laundry number, which is possible to trace.

?

Nice hard to find Officers tunic. The individual saw a lot of combat.

Thanks guys....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket   US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

The 26th Infantry Division....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast