Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket

Article about: Hi all, Any help with this tunic greatly appreciated, it came from an old collection, and hasn't been fiddled with in any way, except for the ribbons etc being removed, and there is no name

Excellent Captains uniform. Either unit, this guy was in some deep and hairy action. Nice pick up!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Would not necessarily have a name inside,but a laundry number, which is possible to trace.
    Blackcat, I know where to check enlisted mens laundry number but do you have a link or source for checking those for officers??? I would greatly appreciate that info,

Bob you got yourself a beauty there. Just the history of those units this Gent served with should be enough to give this tunic a place of honor in anybodies collection
    Great pick up!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Just to clarify the individuals then current assignment was 4th Armd Div. and his combat patch or Former wartime Service was 26th Infantry Division his previous assignment.

So individual has gone from a National Guard Division to a Regular Army Armd. Div.

The 4th was deactivated 1949 and then reactivated mid 50's and served its time in Germany.

This type of tunic was used into the mid 50's before the change over to the then new AG uniform , so more than likely his 4th Armd Div. patch either reflects his late assignment post war or mid 50's assignment.

No signs of honorable discharge worn 1945-47.(?)

Individuals BOS is cavalry and has served 18 months overseas combat.

Phill

My small WW2 US corner is starting to expand....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

?

Looks awesome Bob
    So who do you got there in the case? It must be special to be in the case....

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice display Bob.

Thats how all collections start .......in some corner of the house where the wife or GF can't winge and moan!!!

Phill

Thanks guys, and Phil, the one in the cabinet is an 8th AAF Captains jacket and a crusher cap (a 'Flighter' by Bancroft).
    The curse of having stuff behind glass, the damned reflection makes it difficult to get a decent photo.....

Cheers,

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US WW2 4th Armoured Division Captain's 4 pocket jacket  

The SSGT's jacket is also for the 'Mighty 8th', with bullion aircrew wings, the Captains jacket has bullion Bombardier wings
    and an English made stubby winged 8th AAF patch....

?

Hi bob
    I have to say the uniform looks very strange to me. I can tell the uniform its self may have been made in the UK judging by the weave of the chocolate fabric. i also cant get past the US insignia are pins but the cavalry ones are sewn on (with blue thread no less). Im a big advocate of the seldom oddness of US dress uniforms but i would guess this on has has stuff sewn on that shouldnt be. Also neither the 26th infantry or the 4th armored were overseas for 18 months. I hate to burst bubbles if i have

Quote by akmo View Post
    Hi bob
    I have to say the uniform looks very strange to me. I can tell the uniform its self may have been made in the UK judging by the weave of the chocolate fabric. i also cant get past the US insignia are pins but the cavalry ones are sewn on (with blue thread no less). Im a big advocate of the seldom oddness of US dress uniforms but i would guess this on has has stuff sewn on that shouldnt be. Also neither the 26th infantry or the 4th armored were overseas for 18 months. I hate to burst bubbles if i have
    Hi 'akmo', and thanks for your input, I agree, a healthy dose of scepticism is needed in our hobby at times, and I appreciate your keen eye, this particular tunic has the regulation
    Army service tunic tag inside, and is dated 1942, and all of my recent US tunics (except for my 10th AAF outfit) came from an expat Czechoslovakian who came out to Australia
    post-war, and when he was living in Czechoslovakia in 1946 as a kid, he was given all of the tunics from US servicemen who were returning home, none of them have been
    fiddled with at all according to the guy who originally picked them up, so I am comfortable with them not being fiddled with or stuff added post-war....

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast