Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US WW2 Ranger Coat

Article about: Hi, I was just wondering what you guys thought of this coat.... Thanks, Phil

Default US WW2 Ranger Coat

Hi,

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this coat....

Thanks,
    Phil

US WW2 Ranger CoatUS WW2 Ranger CoatUS WW2 Ranger CoatUS WW2 Ranger Coat

Made up piece. Whole or in part, I do not know.

The Unit Citation is in the wrong spot, ribbons are incorrect
    in their order, two sets of EM insignia.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

I saw that the medals were messed up. The veteran died 15 years ago and the widow "put the pins back on" and I haven't changed it in any way since getting it from her. It comes with provenance and a few other items. is the rest of the coat correct?

Phil

I just can't get this whole thing to go together because I can't find any of his records of being in the Rangers, although I am no expert. I could only find VA burial records stating that he was in the military during WW2

Here is part of the soldier's obituary..

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Google News Archive Search

And photos I snapped from the basement of the family that had a collection for him

US WW2 Ranger CoatUS WW2 Ranger Coat

Hi Phil, it looks like a good original jacket to me, and the ribbons and patch seem good too. If you have vet provenance with it, may I ask whats the reason for your concern?

edit; looks like you have answered that.

Doug

Doug,

Yeah I can't find any information on this gentleman. Name: Nazar Kalashian. On the top of one of the papers it said he was in intelligence...

Quote by behlftball View Post
    Steve,

I saw that the medals were messed up. The veteran died 15 years ago and the widow "put the pins back on" and I haven't changed it in any way since getting it from her. It comes with provenance and a few other items. is the rest of the coat correct?

Phil
    Understandable when the family has no idea what goes
    where - and fortunately it's an easy fix !

I think it's ok as well - especially with the photo and
    other material as provenance.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks, Is there any good resource to find any more information on this soldier? Most of the Rangers seem to be very well documented, but I can't find anything about him.

?

Obviously the ranger patch is a post war modification.
    The 5th Army patch has been moved down. The ranger patch is a 1960s patch and has had the ends cut off that identify the battalion. Probably veteran done but never worn that way in the military. It appears that his original division was 34th. The 1st Ranger battalion was originally made up from 50 volunteers of the 34th and expanded to a battalion.
    After Africa, Sicily and Italy what was left of the 1st battalion ( 137 men ) was sent back to the USA and the remnants of the 3rd and 4th ( 400 men ) reassigned to the 504th Airborne Regiment. The 3 battalions having been deactivated October 26, 1944.

I might add that by the mans name he was either born in Armenia or was a 2nd generation American Armenian whose parents fled the Turkish genocide in WW I.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Makes a lot of sense as to the factors in this coat. Still confusing overall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast