Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US WWII Navy Uniform Group

Article about: The blue face mask is for use in cold/foul weather. Sailors didn't have the option of going inside the ship when the weather turned to crap. Just like foot soldiers in the field they had to

Default Re: US WWII Navy Uniform Group

The blue face mask is for use in cold/foul weather. Sailors didn't have the option of going inside the ship when the weather turned to crap. Just like foot soldiers in the field they had to deal with it and get the job done regardless of the weather. The white inner face is thick felt for insulation and the outer face is a coated, weather resistant material. There were several variations of construction and detailing. Foul weather face masks remain in use today.

Gun crew used a flash protection face mask that is very different from the one pictured above.

Crossing the equator was "Shellback Initiation." The face mask had nothing to do with this pivotal event in a sailors life. Polywogs (small, miserable creatures of the deep) were tested for worthyness and then were presented to King Neptune who certfied them as his trusted Shellbacks.

wow..i like this!!..its great to see the various personal items too....sure do love U.S. navy stuff..

I like the collection too. I have a few of my own.

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    I like the collection too. I have a few of my own.
    i dont have any examples of this type of uniform,,only a few officer ones...be good though..

Crossing the equator (for the first time) is called a Shellback Initiation... I have my certificate...

This time honored tradition has sadly been done away with in the US Navy due to a bunch of politically correct do gooders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2