Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF A-4 flight suit and officer shoe's

Article about: Hello All, On another forum I have been discussing what flight gear they are wearing in the photo I have of my Uncle Joe and my friend Phil posing in front of the B-17 Damned Yankee II. So I

?

Default USAAF A-4 flight suit and officer shoe's

Hello All,
    On another forum I have been discussing what flight gear they are wearing in the photo I have of my Uncle Joe and my friend Phil posing in front of the B-17 Damned Yankee II.
    So I was told that most likely/probably my Uncle is wearing a A-4 flight suit under his A-2 leather jacket.

So I have been looking for one that is large enough to fit over the class A uniform and in great condition. I found this size 40 A-4 flight suit with faded but still visible USAAF stamped insignia. The seller also had a pair of private purchase officer shoes. He wanted $150 for the flight suit and $45 for the shoes. I do love to haggle and first asked if he would take $100 for the flight suit, He came back with a $130, So I asked how about $150 for the suit and shoes. He came back with $160. I countered with "How about we meet in the middle at $155". He agreed .
    These just came in the mail today and it is in Very Good condition with a minor period repair. It was done professionally. Great job!! There is also what looks like a minor paint stain on the back of the right leg. You can't see it from the front.
    The shoes are outstanding. To small for me to wear but will display nicely with the 8th AF Captains uniform I have.
    Here are some of the seller pic's.

Click to enlarge!

Here are the shoes

I also just purchase and Cherry set of M1938 HBT coveralls marked to a Lt R.T. Cox, Those are for Phil's display. I should get them next week. I'll post those when the show up. Those are being sold by the niece of the Lt and she is going to get me his full service history, She said he liberated some concentration camps. It would add to the coveralls but I bought those because of the condition. They are not AAF stamped but will make for a great display.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 05-31-2020 at 05:41 PM.

MAP
    ?

Wow Phil. They look great! Congrats

If the shoes are size 9 1/2, send them my way. They look similar to my J&M's and Allen Edmonds and would look good with my suits

The jumper is my size to

Wait...we went "business casual". Haven't worn my suits in a few years now...
    Last edited by MAP; 05-31-2020 at 03:22 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Very nice mate

Congratulations on the pickups, I can't wait to see the displays! Just wondering was this worn during the summer as I'm only really familiar with the heavy leather flight suits.

Superb Phil, the shoes are 1/2 size too large for me so ya can keep em!!! but they are super score A4 brilliant and much needed for your lot

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Congratulations on the pickups, I can't wait to see the displays! Just wondering was this worn during the summer as I'm only really familiar with the heavy leather flight suits.
    Basically worn when not cold

Phil would these be worn over a class A dress set or other? Clark Gable club now Mate
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-31-2020 at 08:00 AM.

?

They often were worn over Class-A, early on, but crews soon didn’t bother with the tunic so much; sticking with wool shirt and a jumper.. sometimes with the bunny suit over the top.
    You even see the bunny suit worn over the Class-A or flight suit occasionally (!)
    A real mix & match..

Love the little wear-indicators on those shoes.. fabulous.
    I take a UK 8/European 42!

?

Stephen,
    When I spoke to Phil about what he wore in that picture,(March 19th 1944) He said he put on longjohn underwear, then his full class A unform, Then the electrical heated Blue Bunny suit then his coverall. This is the same setup he wore when they were shot down on April 13th 1944. So just not in the summer.

On the other site it was said that my uncle is probably wore the same thing Phil did, Either coveralls or the A-4 flight suit under the A-2 leather jacket. Since I'm doing Phil's display with coveralls, I went with the A-4 for my uncle. Its hard to make it out in the photo, But Phil is clearly wearing M1938 coveralls in it.

I spoke with Phil on Memorial day and asked if he remembered what my uncle wore under the A-2 jacket. He looked at his pic, Which is this B&W one he sent me and said "We wore a hodge podge of uniforms at that time frame" and he could not remember what my uncle was wearing under that jacket. That pic is 75 years ago, I don't think I could tell you what my wife wore under her jacket last year!!LOL!!! But 10 years ago when I first spoke with Phil about this photo and their time together, He was very sharp and knew every detail about what he wore and even the conversations he had with my uncle. I should have asked about my uncle's flight gear then, But just went with what I could see in the pic. I recorded our converstion that lasted over an hour. Phil will be 100 in September!

I've posted this pic before ,but here is the B&W and the colorized version that the detail of the blue bunny suit was pointed out and corrected.

USAAF A-4 flight suit and officer shoe's.

Now here is the kicker, When I was talking to Phil about this ,He said "Well when it got cold, I would put on a leather jacket". So I asked what kind?
    He said like what Fioretti is wearing. (The Pilot/ Back row center) So it looks like sometime in the future when I get deeper into this rabbit hole, I'll be picking up some leather gear!!!!

In that conversation on the other site(USMF). Which started because I was asking if B-1 trouser would be correct for a display, They are not!! This Photo was posted to show what is being worn in March of 1944.
    A-2 jacket with A-4 flightsuit. This is what I'll do for my Uncle's display setup.
    USAAF A-4 flight suit and officer shoe's.
    This guy even looks a little like my Uncle with this Stache!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Phil, don't want to crash your thread, but can you identify the type of flight suit these guys are wearing in this photo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast