Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap

Article about: I would like your oppinion on this lot i've found for sale. It includes the USAAF service coat with bullion patch, sterling wings, ETO and air medal ribbon bars, shirt, pants (pinks and gree

Default USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap

I would like your oppinion on this lot i've found for sale.
    It includes the USAAF service coat with bullion patch, sterling wings, ETO and air medal ribbon bars, shirt, pants (pinks and greens) and a officers hat.
    The seller do not know any info about the previous owner, except it came from a estate in the Seatle area, and his name was Jack Wilson.
    I would like to know if those items are original from WW2 period.
    I know that the pictures are not so good and some additional pictures could help, but those are the only ones i got.
    The price is really fair, so...
    Can anyone help me?
    Attached Images Attached Images USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap  USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap 

Default Re: USAAF WW2 Lot - Uniform + Cap

The 'Conqueror' label is odd ( trousers ? ) because after 1947 the 'United States
    Air Force' became a separate branch, and it's uniform changed to blue.
    Probably late 40's. The shirt may be the same or later.

The Army however, still used their standard colour of uniform but started
    using more modern materials and different shades towards the late 50's.

The Air Force blue uniform did not become widely or exclusively used in the field
    until after the Korean war. Whatever happened to come into supply was being
    worn in more remote locations - pinks and greens were mixed with
    blue uniform for a short time.

The cap and coat, although small size and the waist belt missing, are OK
    IMO, and if all were going for a good price I'd buy it !

I'd be interested to see the reverse of the pilot wing.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-22-2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

So, your oppinion is that the Coat (which comes with the belt, too) and Cap are ok, but the shirt is post world war II?
    I noticed that the "Army Officer's Uniform" tag was sewn inside the coat, vertically. Is that correct?!?!
    The price is about U$ 150,00 for all you see plus the pants that are not shown on the pictures. What do you think.... does it worth???
    I'm sorry but i can not provide more pictures (i'm also curious about the reverse of the pilot wing).

Regards

Fabio

Quote by fpicoli View Post
    So, your oppinion is that the Coat (which comes with the belt, too) and Cap are ok, but the shirt is post world war II?
    I noticed that the "Army Officer's Uniform" tag was sewn inside the coat, vertically. Is that correct?!?!
    The price is about U$ 150,00 for all you see plus the pants that are not shown on the pictures. What do you think.... does it worth???
    I'm sorry but i can not provide more pictures (i'm also curious about the reverse of the pilot wing).

Regards

Fabio
    Hi, Fabio !

Yes, possibly. The photos are rather small to see a lot of detail.
    There is one tag that is definitely 1947 or later !

I have not seen uniform tags sewn vertically, but it is probably OK because
    the other tag with the date looks good. Also the typical army shirt usually
    had 'box stitching' on the shoulder epaulettes.

I've seen pilot wing badges alone for $150.00................ !

That is, if they are genuine WWII era 'Sterling' marked wings,
    which is why I'd need to see the reverse ! It could be from
    a number of makers - Amico, Balfour, Meyer, Norsid, etc.

Or a post war wing ....... !
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-22-2010 at 03:43 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

I don't see any problem with the tunic and hat. The hat is a "crusher" style, worth the $150 by itself. The bullion AF patch maybe $50 and the wing depending on MFG anywhere from $50 to $150. So if it was me in the market, I would take a chance at that price. Hope this helps some.

Terry

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Yes, possibly. The typical army shirt usually had 'box stitching' on the shoulder epaulettes as well.

I've seen the wing badge alone for $150.00.......... !
    That is, if they are genuine WWII era 'Sterling' marked wings !
    I got a problem with the wings they look new and the rubbons have so many clusters .

Terry is correct with the prices of all the other items by themselves,
    so it is a pretty good buy for $150 ................. !
    Regards,

Steve.

yes the price is good.

One more observation, the wing is of the Balfour or NS Meyer design. Both have been reproduced. If it is marked Meyer it should have a full line address with the shield. If it only has a shield logo it was made in the 50's or later.

As for the oak leaves on the Air Medal, I don't recall what the requirements were during WW2 for obtaining an Air Medal however during the 60's Air Medals were issued for number of hours flown ie one air medal for 100 hours of administration type flight or one Air Medal for 50 hours of combat support missions or last one Air Medal for every 25 hours of actual combat. And there was an award of the Air Medal with V device for performing a valorious act in combat. I myself obtained 57 Air Medals during my two tours in Vietnam flying gunships, three with V device. With all that being said this guy would have flown a minimum of 125 hours combat to earn this set up, which would equal about 10 bombing missions, so this would not be unlikely if they were under the same system during WW2.

If you were to piece this uniform out the sum of all parts could be worth in the area of $350 or so if the wings are good.

Terry

Is there a label inside the inside jacket pocket?

Such tailor's labels are usually named and often dated.

PG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast