Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

USMC Genenals tunic Date

Article about: Great find today , USMC Generals tunic , named and dated 14/13/53 to a Brig. Gen. Ion M Bethel . Any chance this could be a WWII but not issued till 53 ? Sorry about the poor photos , I'll g

CBH
    ?

I'm still not sure what I'll do with the tunic , as I don't collect US . But I agree it would look great with the metals and ribbons . Here is a clearer photo of the shoulder board button , could that have something to do with his service in China ? Thank you all for the comments and replies.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC Genenals  tunic Date  

?

The China service was also my thought about that Chris It's not regulation and not something I've seen before, but when they get that high in rank they can do things other would not dare. I know one of my former Commandants of the Marine Corps was know to sport WW2 EGA's on his uniform. Who's going to have the ball's to tell them otherwise

"China" Marines before WW2 and after were a breed unto themselves and were very proud of it

Semper Fi
    Phil

CBH
    ?

Thanks Phil , I'm still trying to find info about the button . It is very interesting , and i'd love to find reference to it being worn by other China Marines . One thing is for sure , he was a survivor , there can't be that many Marines who served in WWI , China twice , and they make it through WWII as well .

?

Just wondering if you posted this on the site I recommended. I haven't seen it and you might get some answers about this button. There are those on that site that the USMC is their specialty.

Semper Fi
    Phil

CBH
    ?

I tried to join several times and it kept kicking me out . I'm not a computer guy and get very frustrated . Feel free to share it , if you'd like to . If not I may attempt to join again . Thank you for all the help , USMC items are not my area .

?

The coat is standard post-war late 1940s to mid 1950s era example manufactured MCDS, Philadelphia. I have same coat, named for warrant officer, manufactured MCDS, Philadelphia - identical in material, cut and lining. Regarding the atypical button, I think it is not replacement done during service by original owner. Not regulation practice and very less probable to be done by high ranking officer. Nice example suitable for restoration, if not interested in it anymore let me know. Thank you

CBH
    ?

Hello USMC , welcome to the forum , thanks for the reply . PM sent

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Hello USMC , welcome to the forum , thanks for the reply . PM sent
    thank you for invitation, PM was replied.

CBH
    ?

Here are a couple of photos of some wear or moth damage , also the rip in the armpit . The one by the tweezers is hidden under the tail flap in the back , there is also a slight pick to the lower sleeve .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC Genenals  tunic Date   USMC Genenals  tunic Date  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2