Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Were camouflage windproofs worn in the Italian theater.

Article about: Hi all, Sorry for the rookie question but I have been doing a fair bit of searching and havnt been able to find evidence either way of the windproofs being worn in the Italian theater. I fig

Default Were camouflage windproofs worn in the Italian theater.

Hi all,

Sorry for the rookie question but I have been doing a fair bit of searching and havnt been able to find evidence either way of the windproofs being worn in the Italian theater.

I figure they were in wide circulation in the European theater by late 1944 so it would make sense for them to be available in Italy too, I am yet to find a photo of them in use though.

Thank you all for any help.

Thanks
    Jason

Were camouflage windproofs worn in the Italian theater.

I would think so,winter in northern Italy[mountains] is no joke

Well, I would have thought so but I just had a quick look and couldn't find any pics. You probably know that this item whilst initially used by snipers and special forces by 1944 was in fairly widespread use in infantry formations at least so there must be photographic evidence. The MkI Bren had been replaced by the MkII and MkIII in most 1st line units by then I think (queue input from weapon experts!).

I am interested now so I'll keep looking.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks guys. Mark like you with them in wide distribution by that time I assumed they would have been in use in Italy but then I havnt been able to find evidence to back that up! With the Bren unfortunately they are not too common here in the states so beggars cant be choosers!

I read an account where they were issued these in Italy, though I can't remember which book it was.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Pretty sure I have seen the SAS wearing them in Italy.

there's a lot of pics showing 2nd SAS wearing the camouflaged Windproof jackets along Denison Smocks in Northern Italy, IIRC in the Osprey/Vanguard volume as well...