Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is this!!!

Article about: Sorry to dissagree - rainbow thread embroidery and embellishment was not uncommon in US Navy uniforms. I have had a number of these in the past with different amounts and styles of embroider

Default What is this!!!

Hello i just bought a WW2 US Coast Guard uniform today and i found this on the inside of the uniform, can anyone tell me what it is and why its there. Thanks - Nick K

What is this!!!What is this!!!What is this!!!

Default Re: What is this!!!

Looks like a stylised ship to me. Not sure why its there, maybe the tailor was playing around with their machine.

you find this often in second hand shops like this, they try to make fashion out of it and think it sells better

I think it was made during the war not after, remember its on the inside of the jacket not on the outside. - Nick K

This was probably a war time or occupation period embellishment. In places occupied by US troops such sewing augmentations were offered up by the locals to earn a little cash. Someone else who specializes in US uniforms can comment further I'm sure. NH

Quote by nkumburis View Post
    I think it was made during the war not after, remember its on the inside of the jacket not on the outside. - Nick K
    i dont think so as if i go to a shop calld rockit here i find minimum 10 of them, the girls wear them like this and from the inside out, they are fashion freaks thats all

Yet ive seen stuff like this in Navy uniforms, the son of a vet had something like this in his fathers uniform. - Nick K

Hi Nick, I have to agree with Klinger here. I'm sure what Neil said was probably true in some cases, but look at that boat. In the multitude of colors, it's not the most masculine motif. My father was in the Coast Guard from 1948 to 1952. He kept several of his uniforms. In the mid 1960's, through the 1970's, it was extremely popular for American girls to wear these uniforms. My older sister took one of my dad's uniforms and sewed pink hearts on the inside just like yours. I remember her wearing it correctly and inside out with the hearts showing. Certainly not conculsive, but with that color of thread, much more likely. Still a nice uniform. I've always been impressed by the high quality of these U.S. Coast Guard uniforms.

Take care,
    Jay

Oh, ok well sorry for doubting you Klinger, do you think it takes away from th value of the uniform? and can someone give an estimation of the value of the uniform it came with the, donald duck hat that has US coast guard around the tally, has jacket the patch on it and its a radioman, 2 pair of pants and pea coat for the rain all from WW2 and matching. - Nick K

Also the jacket has the US coast guard shield on the bottom of the right sleeve and its all coast guard and matching. - Nick K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast