Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

What era is this navy uniform from ??

Article about: Hello all I have an Royal Australian navy sailors uniform I'm unsure of the era it is any help would be great thanks

Default What era is this navy uniform from ??

Hello all I have an Royal Australian navy sailors uniform I'm unsure of the era it is any help would be great thanks
    What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??

?

Ok, after a quick look up the H.M.A.S Cerberus is a naval training base in australia. For me this uniform definitely looks WWII.
    Ryan

Thanks for the info ryan

I have been trying to research Royal navy uniforms and its not easy, there is very little in the way of reference books and not all that many other navy collectors in comparison with the other branches of service. Any help I can give you may be flawed therefore.

Assuming the blue collar is detachable, I would want to see it detached, as the fastening changed in the 1956. Before that date they have white cotton ties. Wartime hat bands don't show the name of the ship, as yours does, (though of course it could be pr-war) and its important to know if there is a dot after the ships name, which was removed from bands at some time in the 1950's. The sailors jumper (or jacket) should be made of wool if it is an old piece. From the 1960's onwards the jackets zipped up at the front. Has the sailor stamped his name on the collar and shirt?

I hope thats of some help, Douglas

I'll get back to you soon mate

Hi Douglas I'v just taken some pictures of what you requested as well as all names and ID type numbers I can find on the items The shirt is a replacement no names just australian badges the guy I bought it of told me that. the blue collar is detachable and has more then one name on it . sorry it the pictures arn't that clear . one name is very faded . the coat has no name I can find. The cap has a different name in it from the collar and no . H.M.A.S Cerberus Which is a military navy base not a ship.Do these pictures help with identification ? Thanks again regards mattWhat era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??What era is this navy uniform from ??

- - Updated - -

Oh and thanks again for all your help

Ok, this is pre- 1956 and of the wartime type. The sailors stamps and the manufacturers tag all look consistent to me for a wartime piece.

As Douglas posted earlier, Navy items can be very hard to date. As far as the makers tag goes, it must be early or pre war if wartime as the Aussies introduced a system of only using a letter code for the state with a number for the maker in circa 1942, though it could of course be early post war. Nice outfit either way.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thankyou to all for your help