Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

What is he wearing - what regiment may he be in? - my great, great grandfather

Article about: My great great grandfather was a career soldier - he was born 1851 in Belfast, served in the 76th regiment ( stationed in Castelbar, Ireland ) at home and in India from September 1866 to Apr

Default What is he wearing - what regiment may he be in? - my great, great grandfather

My great great grandfather was a career soldier - he was born 1851 in Belfast, served in the 76th regiment ( stationed in Castelbar, Ireland ) at home and in India from September 1866 to April 1876, discharged 1881, served for 2 years in South Africa with the 'Kimberley Volunteers', re-enlisted in WW1 where he "understated" his age as 48 - actually 63 - and so he was sent to the Malta 1st Garrison Battalion where this photo was taken.

After the war, he lived in North Shields where the second photo ( at age 84 ) was taken with him wearing his long service medal.

We researched this all 10 years ago but could not track his movements down ( all the prewar stuff is proven, the WW1 stuff is family history as the records were lost in the Blitz ) I checked the microfilm that the family history centre of the Mormons keep and his were NOT among the "burnt records"

Really all we have are these two photos ..... I cant believe I never thought of asking my mates here for help but here are the questions...

Q: the cap badge looks like a Fusilier regiment, I have a medal card for the 25th Northumberland regiment that mentions an individual with the same name.
    Q: Is he wearing tropical kit? Is this what they would have worn in Malta?
    Q:What else can my British experts tell me from this photo? Someone in the family has the original but I'm having trouble tracking it down. If I can, maybe I can scan a clearer image...

Hope someone can help?
    Thanks, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I can't help Dan but I did poke out a feeler for ya.

Well Dan, here is my best shot.

Yes that is clearly a fusilier cap badge (flaming grenade). They are always tricky in poor photographs but the best way to narrow it down if not tie it to one in particular is by observing the outline shape of the flames. Also if possible the configuration of anything on the grenade body eg circlet and device or just a device etc. In this case we can't make this out so it is down to the flames. If you look at all the fusiler badges it seems to me that just two show a similar flame shape; The Northumberland Fusiliers (not Royal titled in WWI) and The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (Irish connection). So, from what info you do have The Northumberland Fusiliers seems to fit. There is no connection to the 25th or 76th regiments, they both descend today to The Duke of Yorks Regiment via multiple changes enroute.

Now, a "Garrison Bn" is one formed in any regiment to man a static location and was made up of men too old or infirm for front line combat (that fits here) so there would have been many "1st Garrison" battalions.

Now the really interesting bit for you; In 1915 The Northumberland Fusiliers (they raised 51 Bns in WWI) raised The 1st Garrison Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers and it was posted to MALTA!!

As for the uniform in the pic this is fairly typical service dress for the period in that theatre.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well Dan, here is my best shot.

Now the really interesting bit for you; In 1915 The Northumberland Fusiliers (they raised 51 Bns in WWI) raised The 1st Garrison Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers and it was posted to MALTA!!

As for the uniform in the pic this is fairly typical service dress for the period in that theatre.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Yes Mark, it certainly does! He was quite the character ( both good and bad ... a good soldier, a bad father ) so the stories passed down about him were full of fact and fiction.

I would imagine achieving the rank of sergeant would have been based on a pre-war service that we are quite sketchy on as I cannot see how in a garrison battalion for the elderly he could have risen that high.

That said, his early military service 1865-1881 was as a regimental drummer in the 76th ( Aldershot to India/Burma and back ) so in the ensuing 30 years he MUST have achieved the ranking. As well as the Kimberly's, there is a tale of him following the 76th to South Africa and serving in the Donegal Artillery ( none of which are (as yet ) proven ) so he was certainly our "mystery man"

Thanks for the help and confirmation on the cap badge..
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "