Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

World War I U.S. Field Jacket for Review

Article about: by helmetone Did I miss anything great at the show, joe? I was going to go but work got in the way...as usual. It was a nice show! A good variety of vendors and lots of nice people. I brough

?

A very nice jacket there and probably the most mint looking one I've seen yet.

I've not really got any WW1 stuff to speak of as it doesn't interest me as a rule but that jacket is a nice example especially displayed like that with the cartridge belt fitted.

Thanks for the kind words! I don't collect much WWI stuff either, but this jacket is so nice that I've decided to make a small display out of it. I have a WWI era US first aid pouch on the way...

?

Very nice!

I think I'm right in saying those pouches saw a lot of use in the early part of the war as the US war machine grew, especially with the USMC?

Yeah, WWI vintage gear saw a lot of use in the early stages of World War II, especially by the Marines. The Marines who fought at Midway, the early stages of Guadalcanal, etc. all used this stuff and bolt action "Springfield" rifles before Garands could be distributed enmasse.

?

Thats right, and even the GI's in the ETO were using doughboy packs well into the Normandy campaign! Although I think I'd have tried to get a mussette bag asap as I can't stand doughboy packs, they are just a nightmare to try and pack properly even when following the field manual!

Here is the current display:

?

Fantastic collection and I like the way it's displayed!

What Company/Bn is that in the frame on the back wall if you don't mind me asking?

Quote by FJR6 View Post
    Fantastic collection and I like the way it's displayed!

What Company/Bn is that in the frame on the back wall if you don't mind me asking?
    Here's a close up:

Any additional info on them would be greatly appreciated!!

This arrived today:

World War I U.S. Field Jacket for ReviewWorld War I U.S. Field Jacket for Review

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast