Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 American Field Service uniform

Article about: I was fortunate to stumble across this named American Field Service uniform. It is complete with privately purchased coat, pants, shirt and tie. It has the American Field Service arc above a

Default WW2 American Field Service uniform

I was fortunate to stumble across this named American Field Service uniform. It is complete with privately purchased coat, pants, shirt and tie. It has the American Field Service arc above an 8th Army SSI. There is a sterling silver cap badge pinned to the chest and a 2 place ribbon bar for the 39-45 star and the Italy star. It is named to Robert Buddy Nemecek of Chicago who served with ambulance unit CM88 in Italy. WW2 American Field Service uniformWW2 American Field Service uniformWW2 American Field Service uniformWW2 American Field Service uniformWW2 American Field Service uniform

?

Was it unusual or usual for Americans to receive these two stars?
    Nice uniform!

Oz.

Thank you. The data I have indicates that men of the American Field Service were awarded the following stars issued and the number awarded 1939-45 Star #1536, Africa Star #740, Italy Star #947, Burma Star #370, France-Germany Star #107.
    AFS men were considered civilian volunteers by the US Army but held warrant officer status while with the British Army, who appreciated their service and their Dodge ambulances, and held all privileges of rank such as military courtesy, use of the officer's mess and the liquor ration.

?

A part of history I knew little about. Thank you Scott.

Oz.

MAP
    ?

So, basically a continuation of the American Field Service units from WW1?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

learn something on here everyday, awesome