Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

ww2 Brit SD tunic's tailors labels

Article about: Hello mates!It's have been a while from my last post!As you know the ww2 british Service Dress tunics have a tailors label in the inside pocket with the officer's name,the date,and a number!

Default ww2 Brit SD tunic's tailors labels

Hello mates!It's have been a while from my last post!As you know the ww2 british Service Dress tunics have a tailors label in the inside pocket with the officer's name,the date,and a number!So,I have a small specific question.The label is hand written with ink.Is it written by the tailor or the officer himself?Also what the number stands for?Below are the pictures from the label and the officer's name at the london gazzette!(over the list is written this ''CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS.
    The undermentioned Cadets, from I4ist
    and I42nd O.C.T.U. to be 2nd Lts. 29th
    Mar. 1941: —''!Many Thanks for your time and helpww2 Brit SD tunic's tailors labelsww2 Brit SD tunic's tailors labels

The number at bottom left is the tailor's order/stock number and as far as I am aware in this type of label, it would have been written by the tailor. As is often seen, the date is prior to his being gazetted with his commission.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for your feedback Jerry B!I am aware for a same tailor's label with the same handwriting!Although I was told that officer's usually written the labels...but this cant be right!

I did a further research!The address at my tunic's label is defferent from the other label...although it's the same tailor's name!Maybe they moved to another store?!?!?!

As said, the labels were sewn in and written on by the tailors. Usually include Surname in full and initials of Christian names, Rank (Territorial officers usually with "Esq."), The number is an order number, allowing for replacements to be ordered without re-visiting/re-measuring, would also I expect cross reference to the cloth used in case alterations are needed such as new epaulettes.
    Sometimes a second number is shown, I imagine this is a commission/
    service number.

Sometimes they have the officers unit as well.

Two from my collection, one marked 4/23 for 4th battalion of the 23rd regiment of foot, more commonly known as the royal Welch Fusiliers, the other marked 24th, for the 24th regiment of foot, more commonly known as the South Wales Borderers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 Brit SD tunic's tailors labels   ww2 Brit SD tunic's tailors labels  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Indeed yes they often do, I forgot to mention that.

Thank you very much mates for this info!Really appreciated!