Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ww2 Canadian majors uniform

Article about: Can someone tell me what the shoulder cord is for? Seller said it was their grandfathers but didn't know much about the uniform. I know the ribbon is for the voluntary service medal and im g

Default ww2 Canadian majors uniform

Can someone tell me what the shoulder cord is for? Seller said it was their grandfathers but didn't know much about the uniform. I know the ribbon is for the voluntary service medal and im guessing he would have had a war medal as well.

ww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniformww2 Canadian majors uniform

The cord is a lanyard for a whistle and the colours have unit significance and are a little studied area in need of research. For some units the colours are known, but in many cases little is known.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you Anon.

The seller gave me a brief history of her grandfather his name was Lloyd Folkins born Feb. 1913, and died Sept 1994. She said he also received medals for his work with the commonwealth I looked on ancestry and could not find anything.

Quote by jdamaso1111 View Post
    The seller gave me a brief history of her grandfather his name was Lloyd Folkins born Feb. 1913, and died Sept 1994. She said he also received medals for his work with the commonwealth I looked on ancestry and could not find anything.
    Always great when you can put a name to something like this. I really like the enameled collar badges, very nice. He has 4 years service chevrons on his sleeve, in case you did not know, though you probably did.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Anon View Post
    Always great when you can put a name to something like this. I really like the enameled collar badges, very nice. He has 4 years service chevrons on his sleeve, in case you did not know, though you probably did.
    I didn't actually, is that 4 years apiece or in total?

I'm not sure about those collar dogs. They look a lot more recent, not WW2. If I had to guess, Korea or later up to 1958 with the crown and all. Jacket doesn't look right with the small pocket under the breast pocket. I would also think that a Major would have a bit more in the ribbon bar than just the Volunteer Medal...? And is that an American Legion star I see under the right breast pocket..??? This looks pieced together, but just my 2 cents dude...

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    I'm not sure about those collar dogs. They look a lot more recent, not WW2. If I had to guess, Korea or later up to 1958 with the crown and all. Jacket doesn't look right with the small pocket under the breast pocket. I would also think that a Major would have a bit more in the ribbon bar than just the Volunteer Medal...? And is that an American Legion star I see under the right breast pocket..??? This looks pieced together, but just my 2 cents dude...

That is a little snap for the pocket. The woman who sold it said he was entitled to more medals and the collar dogs with enamel were worn during ww2 I thought I also thought the Canadian pattern service dress had the slant pocket like this one.

I have never seen the enameled collar dogs on a WW2 tunic. The only times I have seen anything like that with enamel is when it's a sweetheart pin. Do the dogs have posts, or is it a straight pin on a hinge? I have also not seen a custom tailored tunic for the Canadian Forces for WW2, with that small (coin?) pocket under the left breast pocket. I thought that might be American. Canadian tunics are like the British, and just have the 4 pockets, as far as I know. The other thing that makes me think that this is tarted up, is, why take the time to put on one ribbon for the decorations? It looks like it is sewn in, or am I wrong on that one? I would assume that a Major that volunteered, would at least have the 5 medal group....but, dude, I realize my opinion is unsolicited, and I am not any sort of expert...just giving you some information, go with what you think...but two really sound pieces of advice I can give you...don't buy the story, buy what's in front of you...and if you have doubts, walk away. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but a Major in the Ordnance Corps -pretty easy tunic to score. A Major in the PPCLI...now there's a cost I wouldn't like to bank roll...

I posted on this earlier but it seems to have vanished.

The small waist band pocket is typical of pre WWII British tunic, though I am not sure how that applies to Canadian made examples, but I see no problem with it.

The enamel collars are quite commonly seen on British tunics for some of the Services, such as RE and presumably Ordnance, so again I see no problem with that.

As regards the medals, they might have been removed or never put up depending on the date of when he wore this.

If it had been to a more desirable unit, then concerns about pimping it would have to be considered, but in this case I would not worry.

The Chevrons are one for each year of service, so 4 years in total.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast