Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ww2 Canadian majors uniform

Article about: Can someone tell me what the shoulder cord is for? Seller said it was their grandfathers but didn't know much about the uniform. I know the ribbon is for the voluntary service medal and im g

?

I have seen enameled collars on Full Dress tunics and Mess Dress that is WW2, however I do not think these original to this tunic, also, I do not like the "Canada" shoulder badges..and they way they are sewn on.
    Then you have the 6 coloured Pacific force badge, made for a force that was never sent..these are common.

Again, It looks put together to me, and I have had many WW2 Canadian Officers uniforms as well as Enlisted Uniforms over the years

Just My Thoughts.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

I hear ya Dean...it's a custom tailored jacket with crap sewing skills on the patches. If this cat that owned the jacket died in '44, when would the Pacific Force badge have come into effect?

?

True, but just looking at the way it is put together, If he paid for those high priced collars, hw would have had much better quality "Canadas" probably in gold wire, regarless they would have been tailored sewn on..not that crappy hand stitched on monkey work

Now for that Pacific Force badge, I am unsure of when they came out, However I would think they came out in early 45..so again, I feel it was made up.
    Now SBC, check out what I am going to start a thread on now, something that has a connection to the Great John McCrae!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

The tunic is missing the belt. I have one for ordnance dated 1942 to o. d. Cowan. The small pocket is correct. I am not sure about the lanyard, or the capf patch. It could be correct, but have neither on my example.I

Also a piece of the right pocket flap is missing or tucked under. The closure snap is pictured.

The shoulder canada flashes on mine are green, and embroidered. Almost looks like german style stitching.

Cowan was a lieutenant colonel in the Canadian ordnance. His tunic also has one medal bar. I checked his background and he never went over seas, just worked in Ottawa.

The collar dogs on my tunic are not enamelled.

Have you looked inside the inner pocket for any tags?

Also look if a previous canada shoulder flash was in place. I see a line under the one you posted, but picture is not clear. This could be an early tunic which the original owner replaced the original canada patch when adding the capf patch later on.

ww2 Canadian majors uniform collectors guild

Last edited by visor; 04-03-2014 at 10:00 PM.

The collar dogs are the type with the two loops for a pin, the buttons are all marked jr gaunt minus two which are marked montreal and the ribbon bar is pinback. No tags in the pockets. The crowns have left shadows on the uniform that are easily seen. So I don't know the woman selling it also has a trench coat to go with it with the same kind of rank but with r.c.o.c cloth tiles and cloth Canada tiles on it that also belonged to her grandfather but from what you have all told me im just going to chalk this up as a fake and return it.

Quote by visor View Post
    The tunic is missing the belt. I have one for ordnance dated 1942 to o. d. Cowan. The small pocket is correct. I am not sure about the lanyard, or the cpac patch. It could be correct, but have neither on my example.

Also a piece of the right pocket flap is missing or tucked under. The closure snap is pictured.

The shoulder canada flashes on mine are green, and embroidered. Almost looks like german style stitching.

Cowan was a lieutenant colonel in the Canadian ordnance. His tunic also has one medal bar. I checked his background and he never went over seas, just worked in Ottawa.

The collar dogs on my tunic are not enamelled.

Have you looked inside the inner pocket for any tags?

Also look if a previous canada shoulder flash was in place. I see a line under the one you posted, but picture is not clear. This could be an early tunic which the original owner replaced the original canada patch when adding the cpac patches later on.

ww2 Canadian majors uniform collectors guild

It looks like the last one you posted with the catch pin but instead of a catch it has the two holes that you slide the pin into that holds it in place. I emailed the woman and told her that it didn't seem right and she said "I am so sorry I do not know much about Canadian uniforms or what would have been done to it but I will pay for return shipping and give a full refund on the uniform" So I don't know if she didn't put it together or she just genuinely has no idea what her gramps did to it if in fact it was her grandfathers.

?

Quote by Anon View Post
    The cord is a lanyard for a whistle and the colours have unit significance and are a little studied area in need of research. For some units the colours are known, but in many cases little is known.
    Officers usually wore the whistle version

Quote by visor View Post
    Officers usually wore the whistle version
    Not always, I have an officers uniform with a blue lanyard, though as I posted previously this aspect of Commonwealth uniforms is in need of study.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

CBH
    ?

I have a very similar uniform for a RCA officer , with watch pocket etc . Mine didn't have collar badges . Might I ask what you payed for this uniform ? Also is there reinforcing around the holes for the insignia ?
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 Canadian majors uniform  

Quote by CBH View Post
    I have a very similar uniform for a RCA officer , with watch pocket etc . Mine didn't have collar badges . Might I ask what you payed for this uniform ? Also is there reinforcing around the holes for the insignia ?
    Cheers Chris
    No reinforcing and I payed 100 with 7 shipping

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast