Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins

Article about: I thought I'd start a thread on these in case anybody else comes across any or whether anybody can add anything further as they are clearly quite rare. I originally purchased them with a qua

Default WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins

I thought I'd start a thread on these in case anybody else comes across any or whether anybody can add anything further as they are clearly quite rare.
    I originally purchased them with a quantity of British webbing relating to a RA officer: Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces

They are size 11 and have the Canadian acceptance stamp. They have the reminents of mud on them so have clearly been worn outside (apologies for my photos)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins   WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins  

WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins   WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins  

Whilst I have not been able to find the exact type, moccasins (for non Canadian members) are designed to be worn outside so these are not for indoor or 'munitions' type work.
    These are period adverts for moccasins
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins  WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins  WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins 

Check out what the Bren gunner, the chap on the right and the chap in the back of the canoe are wearing!

The original caption on the photo of the four soldiers reads: Infantrymen of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, who wear British snow camouflage clothing, prepare to go on patrol, Vught, Netherlands, 1 February 1945. (L-R): Privates F.L Russell, J. Sneddon, Corporal R.S. Marshall, unknown. Aikman, H. Gordon., Photographer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins   WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins  

And finally. One soldier who liked to wear moccasins:

"He moved with absolute quiet because of the pair of moccasins he'd wear... sometimes, instead of killing the Germans, he'd steal something from them. Other times, he'd slit their throats and not make a sound."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Prince

https://bahbs.wordpress.com/2011/11/...orgotten-hero/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Canadian Military issue moccasins 

?

Excellent research on a little known subject!

Oz.

Great thread. Something I've never seen
    or heard of before........!
    Regards,

Steve.

My interpretation of an infantryman of the Lincoln and Welland Regt who is about to go on patrol, Vught, Netherlands, February 1945.
    He wears:
    1942 dated British snowsuit
    1940 dated helmet (I have covered it in an original piece of parachute silk, although in the original picture they appear to have a thicker cotton/linen cover)
    1943 dated cap comforter
    1940 dated British webbing with 1941 dated Canadian pouches
    1944 dated life belt
    British wool gloves
    Canadian military issue moccasins
    He carries a Sten MkII and a 1944 Inglis Bren