Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?

Article about: Hi Gents, I have a question for anyone who is interested in helping me out. I found these boots at a Dutch fair and have trouble placing them. They look like WW2 british ammo boots and still

?

Default WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?

Hi Gents,

I have a question for anyone who is interested in helping me out. I found these boots at a Dutch fair and have trouble placing them.
    They look like WW2 british ammo boots and still have some old rawhide laces on them. The thing is the soles confuse me, anyone an idea on what they are exactly?
    Obvoiously the studs are in a strange pattern. I know vehicle crews didn' t have metal parts on the soles. The toe caps look like other british boots but the the heelplate is offset and and almost German looking, exept for the number of holes. My German boots have only 3 holes. The soles and heels are all nailed in place.

Can anyone tell me about the stamps. On the inside it says 10 M. On the outside it looks like W o D or something.
    Looking forward to some clarification ,

Cheers, Kaske
    WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?WW2 commonwealth ammo boots ?

They have the W /l\ D (War department) marking stamped into them so i gather they should be British or Commonwealth!...
    The 10M is the size 10 medium width!..

Without doubt British or Commonwealth, Used to wear a pair myself in the 80's for marching up and down the square. Often when you came to a halt slamming the right foot in you would still move forward about a meter.

?

These were used well into the 50's& 60's so consequently had a long service life, & have seen them dated into the 80's. The date is normally by where the size is. Unless WW2 dated, then take them to be post war.

?

Well, cant find any dates. So must be postwar. Also the metalwork is a bit odd. I thought the soles were made from rubber postwar..
    Anyway, the're fine for display purposes. Thanks guys!

Any markings inside on the soles.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Meh, only a random 3. Nothing else. If there were markings on the part where your heel sits, the're worn of. That bit is seriously damaged.
    So i'll have to take them als post-war I guess

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    These were used well into the 50's& 60's so consequently had a long service life, & have seen them dated into the 80's. The date is normally by where the size is. Unless WW2 dated, then take them to be post war.
    Still in use in some units, (Not just Guards units) My son was has a pair on issue against his name. He's RHA!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

ILH
    ?

Quote by Kaske View Post
    Well, cant find any dates. So must be postwar. Also the metalwork is a bit odd. I thought the soles were made from rubber postwar..
    Anyway, the're fine for display purposes. Thanks guys!
    Rubber soled boots were issued to commandos etc. in ww2, but postwar rubber Direct Moulded Sole boots were 1958-1983(ish). Drill boots (still on issue as others have said) usually have studs in the center of the sole as well as round the edges, a full heel iron (not a 1/4 iron), and the 1970s+ versions have a much thicker soles.
    Your pair have never been spooned, so I agree with others that these are late 1940s-50s general service boots.

Ah spooning, I remember that, burnt fingers, a camping stove and black mess everywhere

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast