Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 US marine uniform!

Article about: I think there are two or three different ones for USMC.........

Default re: WW2 US marine uniform!

I think there are two or three different ones for USMC.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Check the interior liner of the jacket, specifically in the sleeve (near the shoulder area). There should be a quartermaster stamp (Philadelphia Depot for example) and a date (41-42). In addition, the Marines name should be stamped or handwritten in this area. Usually the initials of his first and middle name and his full last name. There may even be more than one Marines name as these were regularly reissued.

You should be able to use this to search USMC Muster Rolls. You can also send away to NPRC for his service record.

Let us know what you find!
    Stupid me...I just re-read your post and now see you've already done this. My mistake!

Unfortunately there was no name in the jacket but I ask my friend that I got it from and he got it from North Carolina but if I can narrow down my search because I know he was either in the 1st 2nd or 3rd marine divisions, he was a corporal he was awarded at least the pacific campaign medal and american defense medal one with a star the other with two also there was 2 ribbon bars on is missing also there may have been a marksmenship medal. can anyone else help me narrow my search down. - Nick K

Anyone? - Nick K

?

Nick,
    Unfortunately, with the information you have (basically rank and the two ribbons) it would be impossible to determine who this Marine was. There is no list of recipients of Campaign medals or the American Defense medal. All we know at this point is that he enlisted prior to Dec 7, 1941 and that he served in the Pacific. Even if you are certain he lived in NC, I'm sure there were hundreds of men who did as well and enlisted pre-war.

?

Sometimes a name will be printed in the left shoulder sleeve with the date of production.

There is no name or initials. - Nick K

Default Re: WW2 US marine uniform!

If this isnt too late for a reply I think the Marine might have been with the 1st Marine Division if like you said in your original post there appeared to be a diamond shaped marine patch on the sleeve. The 1st Mar Div insignia is diamond shaped and worn on the sleeve above rank. Also the star on the ribbon represents that the holder has won the award more than once. So a ribbon with 1 star means he received the award twice. 2 stars would mean he won the award 3 times and so forth.Heres a pic of the 1st Mar Div patch which is diamond shaped. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 US marine uniform! 

?

Jeff,
    A service star on these ribbons would not represent additional awards of the same medal. On the Pacific Campaign ribbon, each star (known as Campaign Stars) would represent a sepetate campaign this Marine participated in. The ribbon only represents service in the PTO.

With respect to the American Defense Ribbon, a service star is worn to represent the clasp device on the actual American Defense medal. In this case, being he was a Marine, the star would represent the Base Clasp which represents pre-war service outside of the CONUS.

* I should have re-read this thread before posting as Steve already addressed this in post #4.

My apologies, I stand corrected. You are indeed correct that a service star was issued for this ribbon. I confused this with an award star which would be issued for multiple awards of meritorious or combat decorations, which this of course is not. Thanks for the correctional insight. Still think the wearer might have been with the 1st Mar Div which might not narrow it down much but might eliminate the 2nd and 3rd Mar Divisions as their insignias are not diamond shaped. Good luck with your search! Hope you find out who the owner was.
    Last edited by Rigormortis; 06-08-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: correction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast