MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin

Article about: Hi everyone, i picked this up from an Australian Vietnam vet on the weekend, his Father was ww2 and his Grandfather ww1...to his recollection this was his Grandfathers in ww1 and he remember

Default WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin

Hi everyone, i picked this up from an Australian Vietnam vet on the weekend, his Father was ww2 and his Grandfather ww1...to his recollection this was his Grandfathers in ww1 and he remembers the now faded stamp say it was ww1..the internal material looks ww1 issue, but im sure they would have used old material in early ww2 issue ones..the stamp 'Stagg Gloves' i have googled and come across a ww2 flyers leather helmet..any help in working out what period this was made would be appreciated..i should ad, other than the Stagg Gloves label there are no other markings at all
    WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued JerkinWW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued JerkinWW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued JerkinWW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued JerkinWW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued JerkinWW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued JerkinWW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin

?

A search of the old Australian papers through Trove (Search results for '"Stagg Glove"' - Digitised newspapers and more - Trove) finds the earliest reference to the Stagg Glove Co to be from 1931, so I would imagine that your item is from after then.

Philip

Yeah i found that too mate (by the way thank you for taking time to search ) but someone told me they had seen something with Stagg from the 20s? Im leaning towards ww2

AIF
    ?

We didn't start making these until 1946. They were issued to the diggers serving in the BCOF in Japan. It should have AMF plastic buttons... Judging by the stagg label in it, it could possibly have been surplus and never issued/used and had a civi label sewn in and sold on the civilian market.

Thanks mate...ive been lerning about Stagg as they still exist as a leather company..they made a number of leather items during ww2..all with the same lable...the jerkins we used in North Africa were they English?

AIF
    ?

Hi Wizardman, Yeah I have seen a few stagg made items over the years as well I think most were leather gloves from memory? And yeah all the jerkins we (Aussies) were issued with and used early on in North Africa and Greece were British made.

Cheers,
    Luke.

I have one of those Aussie made jerkins dated 1946.
    I'll do some photos and show it but basically it is the British ww2 pattern.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I can't say I only have the pommy 40 & 44 camo types

Since getting it, i have heard various things about Australian ones..all i can go off is that the guy it belonged to was a Tobruk veteran and everything else he has is from North Africa..whether it be some private purchase by Stagg earlier than they were officially given to troops i dont know.

So here is my Aussie made 1946 jerkin. Hope the details help a little in your understanding of them?

I bought this years ago to wear - which I did until I found out that they aren't as easy to find as they once were.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin   WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin  

WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin   WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin  

WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin   WW2 or WW1 Australian made and issued Jerkin  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "