Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)

Article about: Afternoon chaps, I have this nice RAF Tunic that "flew in" over Christmas, nice good standard issue padded wings in cream thread and Kings crown Flt Lt shoulder boards. The tunic i

Default WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)

Afternoon chaps, I have this nice RAF Tunic that "flew in" over Christmas, nice good standard issue padded wings in cream thread and Kings crown Flt Lt shoulder boards. The tunic itself has the "made in" belt, standard to the RAF pattern tunics. It has absolutely no internal makers marks anywhere, I am inclined to think that this was Theatre made in the Far East or India, but any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. Cheers, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)   WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)  

WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)   WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)  

I have some very slight concerns that it might be a postwar tunic badged up like a wartime one, but I'm not at all certain. The shoulder boards inparticular look post war to me, and there are many differences in construction from the example I have. I would be interested to know what others think. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I have some very slight concerns that it might be a postwar tunic badged up like a wartime one, but I'm not at all certain. The shoulder boards inparticular look post war to me, and there are many differences in construction from the example I have. I would be interested to know what others think. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.
    Hi Douglas, I know what you mean, the non standard construction was my concern as to where and when it may have been made. I think the tunic is most probably period and the wings certainly are , but the boards do appear to be much "brighter and cleaner" than the rest and possibly post war/pre 1953 made examples.( They are leather backed by the way. ) Leon.

Hi Leon, I have been looking carefully at the pictures and I think that may be a fair assessment, I cant see anything conclusively wrong and I agree the wings are authentic (and a fairly expensive piece of insignia in its own right). Hopefully its fine, in which case it would be a fine tunic.

I would agree it is made up of postwar parts other than the wings, the jacket is unusual not having a label inside - any evidence of one being removed? Wartime tropical material is a little chunkier/fuller than this. Someone may have added earlier wings to a very legitimate post '45 garment.

Here are some "interior" images, no sign at all of a makers label. Some of the manufacturing technique is machine, some hand tailored. The brass buckle looks of a poorer quality than the solid ones normally seen on RAF blues. That's why I thought that this may have been made in the Far East? Anyway, as ever, I greatly appreciate all your comments and thoughts chaps! Thanks again, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)   WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)  

WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)   WWII RAF Tropical Tunic (Indian made??)  

Well - all it means is that it is inconclusive as the uniform style was in used for decades in warm climes - it may be Australian - with no label or provenance you'll never know. The shoulder boards are later probably 60's or 70's. The buttons being on rings makes it easy to swap out for earlier or later varieties to flavour how you like. If you got an earlier set of boards you'd have a nice display item.

Thanks for your help and input, it is most appreciated. Leon.