Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?

Article about: Hello, I recently purchased this AAF Officer's tunic and I would like some input. Any thoughts on authenticity of the medals? Also I think I found the officer. If I am correct, he went to Pr

Default Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?

Hello, I recently purchased this AAF Officer's tunic and I would like some input.
    Any thoughts on authenticity of the medals?
    Also I think I found the officer. If I am correct, he went to Princeton and then Yale Law School after the war. He currently is a lawer in NJ.
    Do you think I have the right guy?

Name: Robert P Hazlehurst Jr

Birth Year: 1919

Race: White, citizen (White)

Nativity State or Country: South Carolina

State of Residence: New Jersey

County or City: Middlesex

Enlistment Date: 21 Mar 1942

Enlistment State: New York

Enlistment City: Witchell

Branch: Air Corps

Branch Code: Air Corps

Grade Code: Private

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Component: Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of

Source: Civil Life

Education: 4 years of college

Civil Occupation: Unskilled occupations in manufacture of automobiles, n.e.c.

Marital Status: Single, without dependents

Height: 69

Weight: 161
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?   Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?  

Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?   Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?  

Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?   Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?  

Attached Images Attached Images Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input? 

?

Default Re: Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?

Nice uniform are the wings pin back or post. If the guy is still alive I would try and contact him to see if it is his . Gary

Thank you for the nice comments. The wings are what I believe you call post. I am adding a photo of a different set of wings with the same type of back so you will know what I am talking about. Why do you ask anyway? Are one type more rare and if so which?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii us aaf officers tunic any input?  

If this is the same man, this would make him currently 92? Hmm...abit creaky to be practicing law today.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I see what you are saying. I can tell you that he was in the class of 1940 at Princeton (if indeed the same guy) and enlisted in March of 1942 and it says he had 4 yrs college when he enlisted so all is consistant. Also according to the Martindale directory (directory of lawyers) he graduated from Yale Law School and was admitted into the NJ Bar in 1947 which could also be consistant. Lastly it says his state of residence was NJ and the Hazlehurst attorney practices in Short Hills NJ.
    Again not 100% but all fairly consistant. I am sure he doesnt actually practice anymore.
    I sent to the archives for his records and I will update if I get anything.

His father(and mother Lottie Lee)-Robert Purviance Hazlehurst Senior is buried in Arlington...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The '12/1/42' uniform supposedly belonged to a Pilot Officer ? - The above info
    is for a Private. No way would a man enlist as a Private and some 9 months
    later be a Captain, IF the info is correct. Then again, the tunic itself could
    be embellished with insignia that does not belong.

The pilot badge on the uniform is a standard 'graduation' type, which are
    commonly found in clutchback. Pinback wings are earlier - pre 1943.
    The second set shown is a post-war type - likely 'Master
    Navigator/Observer' ( now called 'Combat Systems
    Officer') made by Vanguard.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Steve, the info above is from ancestry. I find quite often a known officer who I look up is listed under Grade Code as private. It also states he has 4 yrs of college which is consistant with an officer.
    I have in my collection a know pilot's uniform. He was a Lt. and I have his military records which confirm. When I obtained his info from ancestry it lists his Grade Code as private.
    I sent to the Nat'l Archives so hopefully their info will link it up. I have the last 4 digits of his officer number so that should help with the link.

Odd that it would say 'Private' instead of 'Officer Cadet' or something similar.
    4 years of college is indeed consistent with an officer. Hope it works out
    - I did not mean to sound overly critical. It's a really fine tunic.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Yes - definately odd. Maybe back then everyone technically enlisted as a private.