Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st Class

Article about: Hey, all. Just wanted to share a recent pick up. This is a WWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunner's Mate 1st Class. This came directly from the Veteran out here in Colorado (don't have a na

Default WWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st Class

Hey, all. Just wanted to share a recent pick up. This is a WWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunner's Mate 1st Class. This came directly from the Veteran out here in Colorado (don't have a name unfortunately). What is most interesting about this is the Submarine Combat Insignia. This badge was authorized on 26 March 1943. It was awarded after a successful completion of a war patrol in which the submarine sank or assisted in sinking an enemy vessel. It has holes for each successful sinking. The first would be awarded the badge with no stars, then the second sinking would be one star and so forth. So, this badge means he successfully sank 4 enemy submarines. The badge measures 56mm long and does not have any markings on the back. It features a horizontal pin.

The enlisted men who qualified for Submarine duty wore the Submarine insignia on the right lower arm. This was switched in 1947 to be on the left breast. The insignia shown on this uniform measures approximately 70mm and is blue backing with white silk and is the earliest variation.

The awards on the uniform are as followed:
    1. Navy Good Conduct Medal
    2. American Defense Service Medal (1939-41)
    3. American Campaign Medal (1941-46)
    4. Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal (1941-46)
    5. Europe-African Mid-East Campaign Medal (1941-46)

The Jumper itself does not have any tags or a name on the inside which leads me to believe that it was a tailor made. It lacks the drawstring on the lower part of the top so it leads me to believe that this was a mid-war produced uniform. It is wool uniform with plastic anchor buttons. It has a pocket on the top back inside of the top. It came with the Bell bottom pants with the drawstring in the back and the 13, 14th hidden, button flap. It also came with the Donald Duck cap but I believe it to be a later paring that my friend threw in since it has contract number I believe to be Vietnam era or later.

Hope you all enjoy.

WWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st ClassWWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st ClassWWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st ClassWWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st ClassWWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st ClassWWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st ClassWWII US Submarine Dress Jumper - Gunners Mate 1st Class

?

Very Nice set. Sporting an ETO and PTO campaign ribbons, this guy saw a lot of places well at least was in a lot of places. Cant really say "Saw" a lot since his view would have been limited to the bulkheads that surrounded him..
    Great pick up!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Very nice jumper!

It really stinks that it's not named, particularly since so many Navy items are stamped with their names all over the place. Most often on the jumper in the bottom hemline on the interior.

Thanks! Yeah I'm working on the name but it was a rare find that I snagged for $290 so I couldn't let it go.

That is one nice set! Great Find

- War Collector