Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic? Info?

Article about: Hello, I purchased this 20th AF Ike Jacket and I would like some info/opinions about it. The items shown were allegedly found in the pocket of the jacket. It was supposed to belong to Cpl Vi

Default WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic? Info?

Hello, I purchased this 20th AF Ike Jacket and I would like some info/opinions about it.
    The items shown were allegedly found in the pocket of the jacket.
    It was supposed to belong to Cpl Vito S. Schiavone 33 946 027.
    The leave papers, flag and pamphlet of civilian life were found in the pocket.
    I have two concerns:
    1. Why would there be an infantry insignia on the lapel instead of a AAF insignia?
    2. I am having trouble finding info on Schiavone.
    I ran the serial number on the Archives site to no avail.
    I did find this website and he is listed under S as a member of the 20th.
    20th Air Force Association Web Page
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Anton
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic?  Info?   WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic?  Info?  

WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic?  Info?   WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic?  Info?  

WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic?  Info?   WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic?  Info?  

?

Default Re: WWII USAAF 20th Air Force CPL Ike Jacket - Authentic? Info?

Hello to answer your first question one could be in the air corps but serve in the infantry quite normal, or could have been in the 20th in ww2 and then switched over to the infantry during the war or the other way around. Also you might never find his records since many of the us military records were lost long ago from a fire in the national archives. Hope this helps
    Sean F

Thank you for your input.

I suspect the Infantry collar dog has been added: one cannot be an Infantryman and serve in the USAAF.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!